2 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:08 AM

As I have said before I would hope Rootsmagic move towards encouraging a concise and accurate Standardized Place Name. Every user has their preference for how the record the Place field and I don't believe those personal preferences will ever be completely overcome.

With online sharing (syncing) becoming more and more common I believe the Standardized Place Name should be the Place field shared (synced) where it is populated and this field is the one with the best chance of being the same in differing databases. 

Rootsmagic and other programs should work towards providing incentives to encourage accurate Place recording for the good of the genealogy community and there are many ways this could be achieved. One of my wishes would be for the introduction of an option to order the Standardized Place Name in a hierarchical view as done elsewhere.

A user seeing a completely disorganized list can be incentive enough to start reordering things towards better data recording.

family-tree-maker-place-hierarchal-view.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:10 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 austrian_genealogy

austrian_genealogy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:23 AM

Hello Vyger,

Gramps has implemented a place hierarchy now, where you can also track changes in the hierarchy or naming.
https://gramps-proje...laces_in_Gramps

Genbox has a similar approach, but this program is dead, since it has not been updated for more than 10 years.

IMHO, that's the benchmark in place management and a goal that RootsMagic should try to achieve.

Reinhard

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mapping, places, place details, geocoding