Photo

CountyCheck - KILL the "More Info" Button!

mapping places geocoding

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2957 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:49 AM

I do use CountyCheck and do find it very useful, that is mainly because I want to record and geocode Places as accurately as possible.

I would like to see the More Info removed, in other words present the next screen or a modified version of it. From that screen the Online Info and Online Map buttons take the user to a wealth of information from FamilySearch to help accurately record the Place and I am sure this is often missed or simply not obvious because of the More Info button.

So, please, one click less and more info brought to the top level.

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today"

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:46 AM

I haven't used CountyCheck Explorer under Tools yet. Just tried it by searching for Rayado, New Mexico. I don't see "More Info" on the CountyCheck Explorer screen. Is this how you are accessing county check?

~ Debbie

#3 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:55 AM

Oh, I see how it works now. It's not the "CountyCheck Explorer" that you mean. It's the "Use CountyCheck when entering places" that is checked marked under Tools > Program Options > General.

When checked marked, the CountyCheck box pops up after you enter a place when editing a person. Then I see the More Info button.

Clicking on the Online Map timed out both times I tried it (http://historical-co...bsite/Wisconsin and http://historical-co...site/California).

~ Debbie

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7162 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:17 PM

The Newberry website has been down for a while now. It was being redesigned. I'm not sure if we will pull it or not at this point. I'm sure development will take it under consideration in the rewrite. 

I would like to see the More Info removed, in other words present the next screen or a modified version of it. From that screen the Online Info and Online Map buttons take the user to a wealth of information from FamilySearch to help accurately record the Place and I am sure this is often missed or simply not obvious because of the More Info button.

I'm not following this. Do you mean you don't want to see the County Check info with the date and content anymore?

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2957 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:36 PM

Renee, this is the automatic popup and I believe the utility would be more useful and welcoming if "More Info" was displayed by default.

At the very least it would possibly encourage people to click the online options towards making the entry more correct, an extra click away can lose that interest.

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Root

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7162 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:02 PM

You would need to redesign the screen where "More Info" takes you on the other CountyCheck screen, because you wouldn't have all the options or information noting what the problem is if you bypass that pop-up we have now. I'm just trying to picture this mashed up together thing to see how it would be useful and now overwhelming. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2957 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:24 PM

You would need to redesign the screen where "More Info" takes you on the other CountyCheck screen, because you wouldn't have all the options or information noting what the problem is if you bypass that pop-up we have now. I'm just trying to picture this mashed up together thing to see how it would be useful and now overwhelming. 

Without a doubt, some redesign would be advantageous.

If overwhelming is presenting the information necessary on the top level then that disappoints me. Apert from the many who have CountyCheck turned off I would say those who do tolerate the popup many don't click the More Info button. I was doing a quick how to with some FHC staff using Rootsmagic, two didn't use CountyCheck just entering their own version of the Place and one had never clicked the More Info button, although he will in future.

I am trying to suggest non-cumbersome programmed assistance towards better Place notation for the benefit of the larger genealogy community. For too long and despite previous efforts this remains an important data field recorded in far too many differing ways.

Root

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7162 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:42 AM

I'm just trying to figure out how to word this so development can get an idea of what is wanted. It's hard when I can't picture the screen you are looking for.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2957 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:23 PM

I'm just trying to figure out how to word this so development can get an idea of what is wanted. It's hard when I can't picture the screen you are looking for.

Renee, sorry for the slow reply and it looks like I need to modify the original request anyway. What I did not realize was the Online Info and Online Map buttons were conditional on that information being available and it seems more often available on UK Places, smart but I didn't see it.

I believe being presented with quality reference material aids the recording and geocoding of quality place information and I know people don't like clicking through layers. So perhaps put those conditional buttons on the popup rather than my original suggestion, they don't have to be where I placed them.

countycheck1.png

The information I frequently make use of is English Parish information, so a valuable reference and, whilst not owned by RM, one I would hope would continue to be expanded.

countycheck2.png  

Root

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7162 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:39 AM

Well that was where my brain was headed with the idea. Glad to see we have met in the middle now.  

I am confirming this is on the enhancement request list 

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mapping, places, geocoding