1 reply to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3425 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:39 AM

Everyone should know my desire for accurate Place notation and geocoding but with Ancestry sync on the horizon, I really do fear for all those Place style variations which exist through personal user preferences.

I really would like to reaffirm my belief that the Standardized Place Name (Normalized) should be the field shared online and through gedcom export, where it is populated. I also must be one of the few to use County Check Explorer and I believe if CCE populated the Standardized Place Name rather than the user preferred field then again data would take a step towards more standardization and conciseness.

One Wish would be a view (maybe like People View) which displays the three place fields with an indication for Geocoding, Notes and Media. If all these fields had filter/sort capabilities then reconciling Places and Place Details towards better quality would be an easier task than at present. 

Presently I use a 4-3-2 approach to Places where the Standardized Place Name is usually 4 components, the Place 3 and the Abbreviated Place 2 components, it would be useful if RM had an option to create those 3 and 2 component fields from the Standardized Place Name.

Either way, I believe (and would hope) that having all 3 Place fields visible would help drive users towards greater accuracy and more standard format of Place recording.

I know there is a possibility of some users seeing these additional fields as some sort of work around possibility so I would hope RM would present some strongly worded warning about manually editing the Standardized Place Name field if this suggestion was adopted.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:08 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic