Photo

Changing Fact Type from Census to Census (Family)??

Need Advice Fact Type Changes Census

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:59 PM

I am a little confused regarding the use of the "Census" fact type and could use some advice regarding how to both correct entries I have made, and how to use the fact type correctly going forward.

I have not been consistent (unfortunately) in the use of the "Census" and "Census (Family)" fact types for heads of families.

In some cases I have entered the Census fact type for the head of the family, and then shared the census fact with other members of the family listed in the census. In other cases I have used the Census (Family) fact type and shared with other family members except for the spouse of the head (who is shared automatically). 

I need to know the correct, or recommended, process and how to change the fact type, if necessary, for entries made in the past.

I've tried to change the fact type from "Census" to "Census (Family)" but RM7 will not allow me to do that, and the help file is not much help in this regard.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8475 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 03:08 PM

You cannot go from an individual fact to a family fact or vice versa. That is why its not one of the options when you try to change it. You would have to create a new fact. Its better not to use the Family Fact, most programs won't import it. RootsMagic only added it so we could import another program into ours. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 03:56 PM

Thanks, that's kind of what I thought. Good news is that most of mine are not "census family".

Rick

RickL

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6256 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:37 AM

I addressed a way to convert the (family) types of Census and Residence in Facts - Split Shared to Individual. However, it goes way beyond that conversion in also converting shared events to individual ones, for the reasons outlined on that page.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.