• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Gill

Jim Gill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:39 PM

It appears that the Master text / Source Text is linked to the Notes or Text field in FSFT. 

When you attach a source in FSFT through the automatic linking routine, the Notes or Text field is not available to enter data. Only the Reason Statement is available.  So, if you use that field and then transfer a source to RM, that information is lost.

Is there a field in RM that links to the Reason Statement field in FSFT. That would be the ideal linkage for me.

Jim 

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:02 PM

FamilySearch limited in the FT API the fields we could map to in sending sources to Family Tree.  These are the fields that will transfer.

1. Everything on the Edit Source - Citation Tab.

2. The Source Text on the Master Text tab.

3. The First WebTag on the Master Text tab.

The reason statement field only appears when adding a RM source to FSFT. There is no way for us to receive the notes in the Reason Statements back into RM. It just wasn't built into the FT API that way.

What I do when working with FamilySearch is to copy all the data I want into Evernote (or any text editor) - that includes submitter info and reason statements. Then I add it to the Source Detail Text field afterwards. So you could add the Source from FSFT to RM and then go to the Share Data tab to open the Edit Person screen and add additional information as needed. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jim Gill

Jim Gill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:37 PM

Thank you Renee --

Unless I'm mistaken, and I often am, the text in the Master Text field in RM goes into a field called Notes or Text in the FSFT source, not into the Reason Statement field.

Jim

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:04 PM

That is correct. The reason statement is seen when you are adding new data or making changes to FamilySearch. It lets you state why you are making those changes. It's not really part of the data itself.

Renee
RootsMagic