4 replies to this topic

#1 don

don

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:58 AM

I am paying the price for adding earlier families to my database (rather than later ones) indicating that they are the same as existing families where approriate and then letting RM6 ask me to confirm that the others are new entries to the datebase. Only the last entry (ie immediately prior to the existing database entry) was added to the database as the 'same person' as the existing entry.  All but the last seem to have worked out their proper relationship by themselves and were not added as unique entries, whereas the last entry added the new data under their own record numbers. I need to tell RM6 that this last couple and one child are already known but don't have their own record numbers - so merging doesn't work. Anyone know how to do this please? Or do I just ignore that these last three people have been added as they have as it doesn't appear to otherwise interfere with the program's operation; they are just entered as a 'second lot' to the existing family in RM6.

Don

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5535 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:25 PM

Do you mean that a child appears to have the same parents twice or that a parent appears to have the same children twice? That is what I understand when you say you have duplicate people with the same record number that cannot be merged. In this case, you do not have duplicate people; you have duplicate links between parents and child. You will need to delete one link, maybe even both links and relink the child to the couple so there is but one.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1173 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:29 PM

FIRST - It is not possiblefor two different people to have the same Record Number, although they could share the same Reference Number. The Record Number is a unique ID# generated by RM for each person. It is possible to see the same person twice in one of the main views. For example, if Father John married first Mother Sue and then second Mother Abigail, it is possible to link Son William to both sets of parents.

In the Descendants view you might see:
  1.  Father John-1001
     + Mother Sue-1002
         2. Son William-1003
     + Mother Abigail-1004
         2. Son William-1003

If John and Sue are the birth parents, and John and Abigail are adoptive parents, then this display would be correct, and doesn't need any editing.

If William should only be linked to one set of parents, then right-click on William and unlink him from the incorrect set of parents.

SECOND - If two entries have different Record Numbers, but should be the same person, then you need to Merge them.

In the Descendants view you would might see:
  1.  Father John-1001
     + Mother Sue-1002
         2. Son William-1003
     + Mother Abigail-1004
         2. Son William-1005

In this case, William (1003) and William (1005) are the same person, but were entered as if two separate people. Easy to fix. Right-click on either William, select Manual Merge, then select the other William as the duplicate. Examine the main left and right panes to verify that you really do want to merge, then hit the [Merge duplicate into primary] button.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:48 PM

We have a webinar and Magic Guide that demonstrate various family link issues and how to resolve them. 

40. Fixing Incorrect Family Links in RootsMagic
http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/

Magic Guide #6 Fixing Incorrect Family Links in RootsMagic under Getting Started with RootsMagic - http://rootsmagic.com/guides/

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 don

don

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:40 AM

Thanks for the contributions to solving this sticky little problem. I found that Renee's suggestion that the RM video webnar offers precisely the answer required here, under the heading dealing with duplicate family links. This demonstrates how to delink the husband from the wife first, then you just repeat this for the wife.

So: get the relevent family view on screen, select the husband, and then call up the family view in which the least number of offspring are shown, click on Edit/Unlink from spouse. When unlinked, the father will now show 0 links instead of 2.

Repeat after selecting the wife, and they should now both show 1 link.

I then checked all upward links and all downward links and all were as they should be. Job done!

Thanks again guys!

Don