Photo

numbering system for printed family group sheets?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 uberdorf

uberdorf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:14 AM

What is a good numbering system for a very large database?  I have looked around, but the popular systems seem really complicated over a large number of generations and people.  My database contains around 2,000 people last I checked, and goes back almost 60 generations. 

What I have done so far is to split the family into four families, for the surname of each of my grandparents.  Then I number each generation starting with my own and going back as far as I can get reasonable accuracy with good sources.  For example, Hamilton gen 3 would be my grandparents on one side.  The reason I started out this way is because my mom's side of the family is interested in my research, but not in the research on my dad's side, so I split off the trees for each family when sharing information even though they are currently in one database on my computer.  As for the numbering of generations, I didn't know when I started how many generations I would go back.

The problems I have run into is overlap between families and the varying number of generations removed one family can be depending on which way I am related to them.  So I recognize that I need to consolidate, at least down to my father's branch and my mother's branch if not just one branch for myself. 

Does anyone have a good system for numbering a large number of ancesters for easy reference when going back and forth between paper and database?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:08 AM

I found numbering systems didn't really mean anything to me. What I wanted to know was my relationship and what line they were from. I use Tools>Set Relationships to help me. Then I went through everyone and added a Reference No. fact that began with a code for the family line they belong to. Color-coding helps with this. Then I did a code for the relationship. H2C3R means they are my Harris 2nd cousin, 3 times removed. When lines over lap I used H&M3C to show they are my Harris & Miller 3rd cousin. I use a dash after the relationship to show its a non-blood relationship like M1C-2W - Miller 1st cousin, 2nd wife.  All of this helps me from researching lines that I don't want to follow. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 uberdorf

uberdorf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:42 AM

Thank you for your help.  I just went with numbering the group sheet instead of the individual, so I have the branch, generation, and number within the generation.  H3-01 would be my grandparents.  If there was more than one spouse it would be H3-01-A or H3-01-B and so on.