• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SusanE

SusanE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:28 AM

Please help! I followed video instructions to put RM-to-go on a flashdrive but could not open it later on IPAD.  I was in location with no internet access.  I got message "this app can't run on your PC".  I called RootsMagic help line and person said that I needed to install Dropbox on IPAD first and open files using Dropbox.  Not helpful since I didn't have internet access. And, this was not mentioned at all in the video.  There is also an ITunes app for RootsMagic. I am now back home and trying to figure out how to setup RM-to-go on IPAD before next trip.  I am somewhat computer literate but still need step-by-step instructions for things like this.  Suggestion:  On video and print instructions for RM-to-go, please include information about the RM app.  The information about needing the RM app is not on the checklist when I downloaded RM to flashdrive.  One other possible issue -- RM Launcher does not show '.exe' .  Is this an issue?  If so, how do I correct it?  Using RM 7 since December 2015 and still learning.  Thanks. 

#2 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:41 AM

Please help! I followed video instructions to put RM-to-go on a flashdrive but could not open it later on IPAD.  I was in location with no internet access.  I got message "this app can't run on your PC".  I called RootsMagic help line and person said that I needed to install Dropbox on IPAD first and open files using Dropbox.  Not helpful since I didn't have internet access. And, this was not mentioned at all in the video.  There is also an ITunes app for RootsMagic. I am now back home and trying to figure out how to setup RM-to-go on IPAD before next trip.  I am somewhat computer literate but still need step-by-step instructions for things like this.  Suggestion:  On video and print instructions for RM-to-go, please include information about the RM app.  The information about needing the RM app is not on the checklist when I downloaded RM to flashdrive.  One other possible issue -- RM Launcher does not show '.exe' .  Is this an issue?  If so, how do I correct it?  Using RM 7 since December 2015 and still learning.  Thanks.

Sorry, but there is no way that RootsMagic to Go will run on an iPad. It is a Windows program, not an iOS one.

The only option you have is to install the RM app on the iPad, and then transfer your RM database file from a PC or Mac to the iPad. For that transfer, you can use Dropbox or iTunes. Note that the RM app is read only as far as your data is concerned - it does not provide a facility to update your data (other than by transferring an updated RM database from your PC or Mac).

#3 SusanE

SusanE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:55 AM

I have a Surface notebook computer.  Does the same thing apply for that device -- that I can't run the program on it?  Thanks.

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1178 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:48 PM

It depends which Surface. The earky ones ran Windows RT and those CANNOT run RM nor RM-to-go.

A Surface Pro running a full version of Windows can run BOTH RM and RM-to-go