Photo

Treatment of Pictures (enhancement request)

media photographs family individual

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Charles640

Charles640

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 11:12 AM

While I suspect all the development effort at this time is focused on getting the ancestry merge working, some thoughts came to my mind in recent interactions on Ancestry.com that may be of interest as you enhance the Ancestry Interface.

I break my media into 3 classes, Documentation (images of census or certificates), family photos and individual photos.  The documentation I would like to attach to sources, so I could print out the footnotes, but when interested, actually look at the relevant page.

RM does a pretty good job on individual photos, but it looks like Ancestry has a twist on that I'd like to see.  When you attach a family photo to a person, you can select a portion of that photo as their profile photo.  MyHeritage has a similar feature, when you click on "tag a photo", you can click on the photo where the face you want to tag is (much like tagging in facebook) and it draws a box around the click point.  When you finish the dialog identifying the person, you can adjust the size of the box, so one family photo can provide multiple personal profile pictures.

If, after the Ancestry merge is complete, you can pick up their link data, that would be a neat feature.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8178 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:42 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:34 AM

More than tagging the part of the image to the person for profile image as Ancestry does, I'd like to see tagging all people in the image as FamilySearch does.

Thank you.

#4 chignecto

chignecto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:07 PM

So glad to hear that this ability to select portions of a photo is on the enhancement list.  I have just moved over from Ancestral Quest (which also has this function) and am very much missing it.  Of course, I lost this function in hundreds (perhaps thousands) of images in the transfer.  Hope it is high on the enhancement list. :rolleyes:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: media, photographs, family, individual