• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kmccracken1951

kmccracken1951

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:40 PM

Making a copy of a master source currently takes four mouse clicks and a double-click before you can begin to edit the copy:

1. Select the source to copy.
  2. Click the Copy button. This opens a confirmation dialog.
  3. Click to confirm that you do want to copy the source. This creates the copy, but does not open or even select it; the original remains selected and is automatically scrolled to the bottom of the visible list, meaning the copy is now out of sight.
  4. Click on the scroll down arrow to reveal the copy.
  5. Double-click on the copy to open it for editing.

This is unnecessarily over-complicated. While it might not matter much if you are only occasionally creating a single copy, it quickly becomes tedious if you have many copies to create (e.g., copies of a census source for multiple jurisdictions). I see two major improvements that could be made.

First, clicking Copy should create the copy without requiring any confirmation. Not only is it unlikely that you will click the Copy button by mistake, an inadvertently created and unwanted copy is trivial to delete. Confirmation dialogs are only necessary when a mistaken click will have adverse and/or irreversible consequences (e.g., deleting a master source), and are otherwise a nuisance.

Second, it's the copy that should be selected, and visible in the list, not the original; when you copy a master source, it's virtually certain that the next thing you'll want to do is edit it, and you shouldn't have to manually scroll the list to make it visible and select it. Making this change would allow making a copy with three clicks: select the source to copy, click Copy, then click Edit. Going a step further, I believe it makes even more sense for the copy to automatically open upon creation. This would reduce the process to just two clicks:

1. Select the source to copy.
  2. Click the Copy button to create and open the copy for editing.

If you really don't want to edit the copy immediately, you could just close it, and it would be selected at the bottom of the visible list, with the original visible just above it if you want to reselect it and make another copy.

Kathy

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:52 PM

Fully agree with you, Kathy. You're not the first to ask for these improvements.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:09 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 12:21 PM

This is unnecessarily over-complicated. While it might not matter much if you are only occasionally creating a single copy, it quickly becomes tedious if you have many copies to create (e.g., copies of a census source for multiple jurisdictions). I see two major improvements that could be made.

Kathy, all productivity improvements get my vote as some features have become click heavy I believe just through the evolution of the program.

There was a previous discussion on various productivity possibilities on the thread below.

http://forums.rootsm...uture-versions/

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root