5 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3423 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 06:40 PM

Recently I received a block of new marriages and since Rootsmagic is in development I have been purposely trying to work solely within the RM interface with a view to highlighting possible improvements.

In Excel I would sort the marriage/partnership list by Surname, Given name then marriage date but no such ease exists within RM. The Marriage list has the option to include MRIN but this is useless to helping navigate to the individuals concerned. Legacy Family Tree produces a marriage list with the functionality to edit husband, wife or marriage, I believe RM could easily improve on that.

I would like RM to add a Marriage Tab like that of People View and include person surname/given name, spouse surname/given name, marriage date, fathers name and mothers name and allow multi level sorting to facilitate reconciliations.

I suppose above all else I really do hope RM8 moves completely beyond static reporting to a more interactive interface.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8472 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:34 AM

Have you tried Search>Family List?  You can edit the Father and Mother from that list. You can also sort it by Father, Mother or Marriage Date. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3423 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 02:50 PM

Have you tried Search>Family List?  You can edit the Father and Mother from that list. You can also sort it by Father, Mother or Marriage Date. 

Renee is correct, I am familiar with this report and should be suggesting enhancements to it rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. So intentionally I have spent a few hours using the Rootsmagic Family List to try and reconcile partnerships of which I have just over 22K.

• First thing I believe would be helpful is to have the ability to restrict the scope of the Family List to a subset of the database where it could be focused on a Named Group something like Surname > Sounds Like & Any Fact Place > Contains > Pennsylvania, for those with larger databases this would make the list a lot more friendly and useful and less convoluted.
  • Secondly, I believe very few of us are working with 800/600 screen resolution so it would be very useful in decision making to add the Marriage Place to the left hand pane.
  • Moving to the right hand pane in the simplest of additions at least add the birth date along side each individual displayed.
  • Helping identify possible duplicate individuals through their partnerships should be a key focus of this Family List and therefore the right click functionality to Manual Merge should also be incorporated on this list.
  • Sort Options are the key to helping identify possible duplicate partnerships, names may be misspelt, maiden names may be blank, bride or groom names may be blank, marriage date may be year only, approximated or blank and so on.
  • When Date is chosen for sort purposes the name of the Father is used as a second level sort where the dates are the same and the name of the Mother where the Fathers name is Blank, this is good logic.
  • When Father or Mother are selected for sort purposes the Marriage Date is not used as a second level sort key, this is not good logic and should be addressed.
  • I would like to see the option to sort by Marriage Year only followed by either Father, Mother or Mother Forename as second level sort.
  • I would like to see the option to sort by Mothers forenames(s) followed by the marriage year.

This Rootsmagic Family list has great potential for the future but sadly until it is made more user friendly and useful I will be continuing with Excel for my own needs.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8472 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:30 PM

Confirming these are on the enhancement request list.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3591 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:38 AM

Many of my comments about Search->Family List echo and support Vyger's comments, so I won't simply repeat everything that Vyger said. I want to go in a slightly different direction with my comments.

Despite all the issues that Vyger raised, I think we should applaud RM for certain aspects of the Family List. Many of RM's reports such as Lists->Source List->Print and Lists->Place List->Print are regularly criticized for not being live reports and for being difficult to use. I do think that Search->Family List is a good faith attempt by RM to remedy the defects in Lists->Source List->Print and in Lists->Place List->Print, and I applaud RM for the general style and functionality of Search->Family List. The problem with Search->Family List is that rather than it being a bad idea it is an excellent idea that has been incompletely developed. There are numerous areas of RM that suffer from the "good idea but incompletely developed" syndrome with Named Groups, Place Details, and Shared Facts being poster children for the syndrome. So Search->Family List obviously needs better filtering, better sorting, etc. But I would go even further. I would say that Search->Family List  needs to be a full blow View called Family VIew that would be very much like People View where you could add your own columns, where you could switch from View to View without losing which person has the focus, etc. You certainly should be able to add columns for family facts such as divorce to the proposed Family View. As such, a good implementation of the proposed Family View would remedy the problem wherein People View itself does not support family facts.

Jerry

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3423 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:26 PM

There are numerous areas of RM that suffer from the "good idea but incompletely developed" syndrome with Named Groups, Place Details, and Shared Facts being poster children for the syndrome. So Search->Family List obviously needs better filtering, better sorting, etc. But I would go even further. I would say that Search->Family List  needs to be a full blow View called Family VIew that would be very much like People View where you could add your own columns, where you could switch from View to View without losing which person has the focus, etc. You certainly should be able to add columns for family facts such as divorce to the proposed Family View. As such, a good implementation of the proposed Family View would remedy the problem wherein People View itself does not support family facts.

Jerry

I agree completely and since we often hear RM8 referred to as a rewrite my original post wished for a Family Tab rather than addressing the issues of the existing Family List. My preference would be for a new Family Tab as Jerry described with three level sorting options to include wifes forename, husband > wifes forename > marriage (year only) is one of the main sorts I use in Excel to identify possible matches.

I wouldn't expect to see RM8 for quite some time yet but market pressures and company cash flow will likely dictate that release and we can only hope enough dedicated development time has been available before that date. I also would like to see all those half baked key selling points which we have endured over the years finally finished to a professional and fully functional level, I believe that would make RM8 a class program without any other additions.

I should add that I believe a lot of the present functionality issues are due to the way RM evolved through a bolt on type process rather than building some of these features from the ground up, that is my hope for RM8.

Root