• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PatOxley

PatOxley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:53 AM

I am considering buying a Chrome book but am concerned about my ability to work with my RootsMagic files. Any experience or thoughts on the subject? I understand there is a new version of the chrome book that will be combined with Google's Android operating system. This might be a Bruce question😂

#2 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:40 AM

You can run RootsMagic only if the Chromebook has an Intel processor and, even then, it's beyond the ability of most users to implement. You can't do it if the Chromebook has an Arm processor. Here's an overview...

http://www.howtogeek...n-a-chromebook/

Bottom line... This isn't something that you really want to consider.

The RootsMagic android app may or may not run on a Chromebook but it is no substitute for the full RootsMagic program.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:59 PM

The RM Apps are file viewers only, they provide no editing capabilities. If you are looking for editing, you need a computer that can run the full version of RM - a PC or a Mac.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:24 AM

You don't want a Chromebook if you are planning on running the full version of RootsMagic on it. It won't work.

My HP Stream laptop was about the same cost as a Chromebook, but it lets you install programs on it. I do find the small hard drive an issue though. I had to setup my micro SD card to run RM on it. It's basically RM To-Go on the laptop. I could have installed in on the hard drive but I had other programs I wanted on the laptop too. 

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chromebook