• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Pierson101

Pierson101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:22 PM

How can pictures be added in a RM created book? I see a scrap book function but can't get any pictures to show up in it.

Thanks,

Bill

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:56 PM

It depends on how your pictures are linked/tagged to the database. If you have both Person and Family links, then you need to have 2 separate scrapbooks.RM_scrapbook_dialogue.png

#3 Pierson101

Pierson101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:09 PM

Guess I'm not sure. The RM program has the imported information/pictures/etc. from FTM. SO aren't all the images/sources/media imported when I import from the FTM program?

I played around and it does look like I don't have the images displayed in RM. I'm new to RM and need to know how do I get the images/sources from FTM into RM. The help file didn't give me the answer. :)

Thanks,

Bill

#4 Pierson101

Pierson101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:07 PM

I can't figure it out and just might have to go back to my old way. I really see the advantage of using the RM though. I imported the FTM data again and lost the RM book I was playing with (not a problem), but still can't get any photographs into the scrap book.  :(

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:48 PM

There are learning tools available for you. Go to http://www.rootsmagic.com/guides/ and scroll down to the section  

Importing into RootsMagic

#2 - Importing Data From Family Tree Maker into RootsMagic 7

Learn how to import a Family Tree Maker file directly into RootsMagic without having to use GEDCOM. - Last updated 24 May 2016

Also check out http://www.rootsmagic.com/FTM/Videos/

#6 Pierson101

Pierson101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:55 PM

Thanks and I did view the YouTube videos on RM, but didn't see anything helpful about the photos. I did read about importing the FTM into RM a year or so ago when Ancestry broke with FTM...which is the reason I'd like to do everything in RM.

I will look again at the links you have suggested...thanks. I might have missed something.

I really would like to have one place to write the genealogy material, rather than jumping from program to program.

I will post any positive results in case others might have the same comprehension problem I do. :)

#7 Pierson101

Pierson101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:14 AM

Well, I still don't see how to get the images into the scrapbook, book.  :( Obviously I'm missing the basics but it should be intuitive.

I've spent too much time as it is and I'll just have to use my old way with FTM, Scrivener, and Page Plus. At least they make sense. :) I'll Just dump the RM since I don't really need it anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions.

LAter, Bill

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:19 PM

Edit the MediaTag and check the box "Include in scrapbook for this person"

Go to Lists>Media Gallery and make sure there are no red x's in the lower right corner of the image.  Also make sure there is a thumbnail for that image. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Pierson101

Pierson101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:26 PM

Thanks a lot Renee and the problem is that I didn't select the media tag for the person...obvious oversight on my end.  :(

Now that is solved, is there a way to paste a picture in the RM book without a photo album? Meaning if I have some written text and want to put a photo within that page...can I do that?

Apologies to Zhangrau for not understanding what he meant the first time. :(  :(

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:47 PM

No, there isn't a Text Page with a media option. If you added a blank page you could insert it into the book later.

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:57 PM

Now that is solved, is there a way to paste a picture in the RM book without a photo album? Meaning if I have some written text and want to put a photo within that page...can I do that?

I'm going to take crack at this one, partly to be sure that I understand the situation correctly myself.

I think the answer depends on what you mean by an "RM book". If what you mean by an "RM book" is a narrative report, then I think the only thing available is one picture per person which is printed when that person's data is first introduced in the report - with their birth fact, if you will. So the answer to your question is "no".

If what you mean by an "RM book" is using an RM feature called Publisher, then you can indeed include lots of photos in your "RM book". So the answer to your question is "yes". But you are pretty severely limited in how the photos are arranged with respect to the text. Namely, an "RM book" produced with Publisher has chapters. A chapter can be a narrative report. A chapter can be a photo album. You can have several different chapters that are narrative reports. You can have several different chapters that are photo albums. Your narrative chapters can be intermixed with your photo album chapters. And there can be chapters that are several other things as well. But narrative data and photo data can't be mixed in the same chapter. A chapter has to be all narrative or all photos, with the single exception I mentioned already of one photo per person in narrative report.

I've been pretty bummed out about his for close to two decades now. When I first started using Family Origins (the predecessor to RM), I attached a photo of a grave marker to a burial fact and naively expected the photo to print out along with the burial fact in a narrative report. It didn't. Two major rewrites later (RM1 was a complete rewrite and RM4 was a complete rewrite), this feature has not yet been added. RM is presently undergoing a third complete rewrite. It remains to be seen if this feature will appear in the new rewrite.

If I'm am misunderstanding the situation, I would be most pleased to be stand corrected.

Jerry

#12 Pierson101

Pierson101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:09 PM

Thanks Jerry and Renee. Yes, I'm into the RM publisher and rather new at it. I think a lot of my stumbling is because I have used other programs and it appears that RM is lacking in some of those. In FTM and even Personal Historian you can drop images in where ever, and apparently limited to the gallery in RM.

Didn't know about the rewrite and that would be good to include the insertion of images and also a word processor...even bare bones like FTM or Personal Historian.

It seems that by using many programs you can do what is needed to publish/create a nice genealogy book. However it would really be nice to have everything integrated into one nice program. I use Scrivener for my historical writing and it does an excellent job...even compiling for ebooks. However it doesn't have any genealogy features. :)

Anyway, thanks and I think I now have a good enough handle on RM now and the lack of image insertion and a word processor makes it not my first choice. :(