• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Shieldsbabe

Shieldsbabe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:49 AM

Help! Today I downloaded the new MacOS Sierra to my computer. I have just been into my RootsMagic tree and I entered a new fact onto a person's file. I tried to move on to someone else but RootsMagic just locked up. I force quit the program and tried again. Same thing happened. It allowed me to open a person's file but then locked up and I had to force quit again. Has anyone else had this problem?? And, is there something I can do to fix this? Thank you.

#2 AnneL

AnneL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:22 AM

Hi,

I am also having exactly the same problem :(  .  I was using RootsMagic on Friday without any problem, and at the end of the day I did the update to Sierra.  Since then, I can only go into one record at a time, before the program locks up, and I have to force quit and re-open the program.

Please advise if there is a fix available for this!!  Thank you

#3 Jessey

Jessey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:09 AM

I had a similar problem, which I did post to the forum a few days ago.  Although I can't swear my problem was related to the MAC update, it does sound  like I had a similar problem which was:

-- I have two genealogy files, one totally disappeared, I have no clue how that happened.  I've never had that happen on a MAC before.  What I did notice was that the RM was suddenly looking for the file in a directory I don't have (c:\users\crossover....).  Crossover is a program RM uses to run their Windows RM on a MAC.  RM just hung and I had to force quit.

-- I opened the second file, which was still there and it opened but after one attempt to look at an entry, RM locked up again, again requiring a force quit

I contacted RM support which was totally useless.  So I decided to fix the problem myself

-- First I downloaded a clean copy of RM and over-wrote my current copy.  That did not work

-- I then did a complete uninstall of RM, then re-downloaded RM (which required me to get the free version and during install put my Registration Key in), then did a and did a clean install

-- I checked the genealogy file I could find from before and it was working just fine.  That may solve your problem

Note 1:  My challenge however was to get back my main genealogy file.  There are two file extensions for RM files, one is rgmc (the actual working file) and rgmb (a backup file).  The new install didn't help me locate the missing rgmc file, that is just gone.  But I was able to do a restore (from the File dropdown) and was able to successfully load my latest backup (how I lost the main file but not the backups is still a mystery).  Still lost some work but better than having to resurrect an 1800 record file, complete with all kinds of media.

-- Lesson learned, I had been doing backups without saving the media.  Dodged that bullet (per below) but I've changed that behavior.  Now I don't know if I can trust RM and I know I'm not going to get useful support help

Note 2: The process for completely deleting RM is on their website but I pasted it in below.  To say I'm very disappointed with both RM and esp. the quality of their support would be an understatement, however I will continue using it for now because I do like a number of its features.  BTW, even though they say this procedure will not delete your data files (which I believe to be true since they don't have an uninstaller that I could find), I was going to trust it.  Turns out my data files were not deleted but at this point I'm gun shy,  so I copied them to a thumb drive to keep them away from the whole process.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask, I know from recent experience how much of a panic y'all are in!

Jessey

Uninstalling would not remove your data files. There is a different procedure for removing RootsMagic on a Mac. Here are the steps:
1. Click on your finder. Select Applications Drag-and-drop the RootsMagic application icon to your trash bin on your Dock.
2. Then click on your downloads folder. When you get into the downloads screen drag and drop the RootsMagic7-Mac.dmg file to your trash bin
3. Close out of your finder screen. Then go to your desktop screen. At the top of your desktop computer screen, select Go > Go to Folder
4. Type "~/Library/Application Support"
5. Drag the folder labeled "RootsMagic" to the trash bin.
6. If you have a RootsMagic 7 shortcut icon on your Dock you will need to drag and drop the icon into your trash bin also.

#4 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:42 PM

According to the CrossOver website, MacOS Sierra requires CrossOver 15. I think RM for Mac is built on some level of CrossOver 13 or 14.

See https://www.codeweav...ac/requirements- sorry but can't seem to find a paste as link option on the iPad.

Maybe that has something to do with these problems.

Edited by J P, 10 October 2016 - 12:43 PM.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:45 PM

We've been trying to troubleshoot this issue. None of us at RM can get this to happen on our Mac's running Sierra. We have various things that have resolving the freezing for some but not everyone that reports this. I will pass along this reference needing CrossOver 15. Hopefully that's the cause and we can get this resolved. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:42 PM

If you are experiencing this freezing issue with Sierra OS can you try turning off the WebHints to see if it makes any difference.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 AnneL

AnneL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:47 AM

Hi.  I  have tried turning off the web hints, as suggested - although it froze again after I had been into it to turn it off, once I reopened the programme after that, it seems to be OK so far.....I have at least managed to go into three or four records now without it locking up :)  Thank you! 

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:13 PM

We are trying to get a little background on the Mac computers that are having this issue.  Hoping it will shed some light on commonality between them. If you can give me data on the following. 

1. How old is your Mac computer.

2. What was the original operating system on the Mac.

3. Did it freeze prior to upgrading to Sierra

4. Are you using any antivirus software

5. When does the freezing happen

6. Where is the database stored

7. How do you launch RM?

8. Do you have PH & FA installed and is there any issue running them?

9. Have you done a complete uninstall?

Drag-and-drop the RootsMagic application icon to your trashbin.
In Finder, select Go > Go to Folder
Type "~/Library/Application Support"
Drag the folder labeled "RootsMagic" to the trashbin.

10. Have you checked the firewall permissions allowing RM access?

11. Turn off WebHints - close and reopen RM

12. Do you have Siri turned on?

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:14 AM

1. Reply #4 and # 6 may explain this issue.

2. Never be an operating system guinea pig. Wait 3 months for the first or second bug fix update before "updating".

3. If you were foolishly brave, reverse the update with a time machine restore. First save your current data files to a flash drive as recent documents, downloads and pictures will be lost by the restore. Google "time machine restore" if not familiar with the procedure. You will also lose recent mail stored on your mac and your launchpad layout (if customized). 

4. What, no time machine backups? Buy an external drive, turn on time machine and consider this a lesson in the need for backing up your mac.

#10 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:17 AM

Has there been any progress on this over the last couple of weeks?

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:23 AM

CrossOver is giving us something to start testing to see if it resolves the issue. No time frame yet on this, since we are unsure what the true cause is. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:36 PM

Is anyone still seeing the issue with RootsMagic freezing with the Sierra update?

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:59 PM

Is anyone still seeing the issue with RootsMagic freezing with the Sierra update?

Renee, Are you referring to an update to RM for Mac, or the update of Sierra from 10.12.0 to 10.12.1?

#14 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:03 PM

I am referring to people running any version of Sierra. Some users where having issues with RM freezing after they updated their Mac to Sierra. We are trying to see if it has been resolved for everyone or not, or if more testing is needed. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#15 pmlh

pmlh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:11 PM

I am having the same problem. It is so frustrating. I can look at 3 or 4 files and then the program freezes. I am using it for a university course to do my assignments. This is not good.

1. How old is your Mac computer.    One year

2. What was the original operating system on the Mac. The one before Sierra

3. Did it freeze prior to upgrading to Sierra   NO

4. Are you using any antivirus software Yes, Sophos

5. When does the freezing happen. Without warning. When I click on something, it just does't do anything. I can go up to File and Quit but it doesn't quit. I have to Force Quit.

6. Where is the database stored. In DropBox

7. How do you launch RM? With the icon in the dock

8. Do you have PH & FA installed and is there any issue running them? I have Personal Historian and it works fine.

9. Have you done a complete uninstall? No

10. Have you checked the firewall permissions allowing RM access? yes

11. Turn off WebHints - close and reopen RM  yes

12. Do you have Siri turned on? yes

#16 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:15 AM

Please open a support ticket and we will have you test an update we are hoping to release that will fix this issue. 

http://support.roots...us_requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:14 PM

The new update 7.2.2.0 just released has the new CrossOver wrapper included. You only need to do the COMPLETE uninstall if you were experiencing any freezing issues running under Sierra. If you simply update within the program you will update the Rootsmagic version but not the CrossOver wrapper.

Here are the steps for the complete uninstall.

I do recommend if you are a Mac user, and feel comfortable doing a complete uninstall, that you do so regardless of having freezing issues. Then you will be completely up-to-date with the Mac version.

Renee
RootsMagic

#18 ftipple

ftipple

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:15 AM

The new update 7.2.2.0 just released has the new CrossOver wrapper included. You only need to do the COMPLETE uninstall if you were experiencing any freezing issues running under Sierra. If you simply update within the program you will update the Rootsmagic version but not the CrossOver wrapper.

Here are the steps for the complete uninstall.

I do recommend if you are a Mac user, and feel comfortable doing a complete uninstall, that you do so regardless of having freezing issues. Then you will be completely up-to-date with the Mac version.

Renee,

I am about to download the 7.2.2.0 update to my MacBook. I haven't been having freezing problems running under Sierra, but from what you say it would be a good thing generally to have the new CrossOver wrapper. So I should do a COMPLETE uninstall of my existing RM application and then download the latest version? Please confirm.

TIA

#19 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:20 AM

Correct, do the complete uninstall in order to get the new CrossOver wrapper installed.

Renee
RootsMagic

#20 edmnottm

edmnottm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 04:57 PM

I updated to Mac Sierra on my iMac on which I had RM7 for Mac  v.7.0.1 installed. On opening RM7 I was informed there was an update available and duly clicked the link and updated. The program subsequently froze and I followed the instructions given for the complete uninstall followed by downloading and installing RM7 for Mac from the RM website.

I experienced no freezing but on clicking "about" discovered that the version is still 7.0.1. Has the Mac version not been updated? If it has where exactly do I find the download? I still have a link informing me of an update but reluctant to use the link again from within the program.

Any comments, help and/or advice would be appreciated.