2 replies to this topic

#1 dsenn

dsenn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:18 AM

Hi,

New to RootsMagic 7 and playing around with sentence templates and need advice on how to modify a sentence template for a role in Census (family).

The Role is "Sibling"

[ThisPerson] appeared in the [Date:Year] census< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>, <with [couple],>< [ThisPerson:Plain:HisHer] parents>< and [OtherPersons:role]>< [OtherPersons]>.

I'm stuck with [OtherPersons:role] so the instruction says sibling or siblings, depending on one or more persons added to the Role.

The above has produce this as an example (with the error issue):

Tom Jones appeared in the 1911 census at 45 Canada Road in Belfast, Antrim, Northern Ireland, with William Jones and Mary Jones, her parents and sibling Grace Jones and Rebecca Jones.

Can anyone help with this issue?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7708 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:58 PM

There is a RM Forum for Sentence and Source Templates. I believe this has been discussed there. 

http://forums.rootsm...urce-templates/

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5744 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:26 PM

If I understand correctly, you have but one role type other than Principal and it is "sibling", else I think this approach cannot handle correctly the determination of plural and singular and what the correct pluralisation is ("s", "es", "ren" or even a different word "brethren" or the same word  "sheep"). Try this:

[ThisPerson] appeared in the [Date:Year] census< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>, <with [couple],>< [ThisPerson:Plain:HisHer] parents>< and <#OtherPersons#[OtherPersons:Role:Lower]|[OtherPersons:Role:Lower]s>>< [OtherPersons]>.

If you have more than one role type and only one person in each role, then the plural switch on #OtherPersons# counts 2 and the output will be "role1, role2s".

To avoid the problem of overcounting when there is more than one role type,  restrict the plural switch to that role. Say the role is "child" and you have another role such as "lodger". Then a sentence for the "child" role in which you want to say sibling(s) might be 

...<with [couple],>< [ThisPerson:Plain:HisHer] parents>< and <#child#sibling|siblings>>< [child]>.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.