• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GeoffSwindon

GeoffSwindon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:08 AM

I'm new to roots magic! I created a wall chart and saved it. It's saved as a RMC file. How do I open it? If I click on the file, select "Open", I get a drop don menu "View Downloads - Internet Explorer". When I click on Open nothing happens! HELP!

#2 Norman Law

Norman Law

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:59 AM

It's a shame but when RM gets installed it doesn't create the affinity between .RMC files and the charting program that was installed at the same time.

Find the chart you saved and right click on it. Select the option to "open with", You will be presented with some suggestions but you should scroll down and select the option for "another program on this PC". Navigate to where your RM is installed (probably C:\Program Files\RootsMagic 7. Then select RMChart.exe. Then select the option to "always use this program". In future you will be able to double click on a .RMC file and the chart program will start automatically.

#3 Seamus

Seamus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:43 PM

I'm using RM 7. I am trying to create a custom wall chart using a blank canvas. 

I would like to type or paste into the boxes.  Is this possible?

In a wall chart with shadows on the boxes how do I remove the shadows ?

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1588 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:21 PM

I don't think you can type directly into the boxes. Remember, RM Chart is designed to produce charts from your RM database. It is not a generalized graphics tool like Photoshop.

RM_wall_chart_boxes.png

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6443 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:46 PM

You can edit the text fields generated by RootsMagic and you can add text fields, images,... using the RMchart program. You can also use it independently of RM to make charts of your own design. 

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Seamus

Seamus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:10 AM

Thanks to both of you for your reply

My problem is how to do It.

When I right click on a box I get components and then I select properties there are tabs for edit, line, fill, position and size. All the things I want to do. I cant make any of them work.

Does anybody know how?

#7 Norman Law

Norman Law

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:34 AM

When you get the components dialog there should be a list of the elements that make up the box. Something like Shadow, Box, Name and Events. You need to select Name or Event then "Properties" in order to edit the text within the box.

#8 Seamus

Seamus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:58 PM

Hi 

Thanks for your help.  I see now how it can be done. Its not easy. I find it cumbersome. I will look for alternatives.

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6443 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:34 PM

On my Win 10 tablet, simply tapping on the text put the text into edit mode which is not wysiwyg. To drop text anywhere, I tapped the letter button to enable it and then tapped where I wanted the text which dropped "text" there in edit mode.

It's certainly a clunky old application compared to contemporary software.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 Norman Law

Norman Law

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:39 AM

It works that way on a Win10 PC too. Thanks for the tip, I hadn't tried that.