• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 AuntFrahn

AuntFrahn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:28 PM

I exported descendants and selected to privatize individuals.

Looking at the GEDCOM [imported back into RootsMagic7] I could see all birth and death dates.

Thinking I had forgotten to check that box, I exported again. Same results.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3982 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:57 PM

The only privatization option is to privatize living people based on the living flag. People with death dates are not living and therefore will not be privatized by default. So you will see birth and death dates for all people who have a death fact.

If instead you have people with birth facts and no death facts who were not privatized, there might be a problem. In this case, you probably need to run Tools->Set Living to set the living flag the way you want it for everyone in your database.

Jerry

#3 XFTMTeutopIL

XFTMTeutopIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:23 PM

You may be able to prevent birth and death dates from being included in GED exports by going to Lists, Fact Type Lists, Birth, Edit and switching the Include-GEDCOM to "No".  Same for death.  You can always switch them back to "Yes" when needed.

#4 AuntFrahn

AuntFrahn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:29 PM

The only privatization option is to privatize living people based on the living flag. People with death dates are not living and therefore will not be privatized by default. So you will see birth and death dates for all people who have a death fact.

If instead you have people with birth facts and no death facts who were not privatized, there might be a problem. In this case, you probably need to run Tools->Set Living to set the living flag the way you want it for everyone in your database.

Jerry

I just imported from Family Tree Maker and didn't realize how that worked. Thanks

You may be able to prevent birth and death dates from being included in GED exports by going to Lists, Fact Type Lists, Birth, Edit and switching the Include-GEDCOM to "No".  Same for death.  You can always switch them back to "Yes" when needed.

That sounds good, too. Thanks for your help

#5 AuntFrahn

AuntFrahn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:30 PM

On the other hand, I read someone's question about how to 'kill' people. Now, I think I know what she was referring to.

#6 AuntFrahn

AuntFrahn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:50 PM

I just checked out 'set living'.

Now, how do I see a list of people RootsMagic has set to living or not?

Also, where is the 'living' flag?

I've looked at people who are living and not and don't see anything different in the 'edit' pane.

Thanks again.

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3982 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:01 PM

Also, where is the 'living' flag?

I've looked at people who are living and not and don't see anything different in the 'edit' pane.

On the Edit Person screen, the Living flag is on the far right hand of the screen, below Sex and Suffix.

Jerry

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3982 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:11 PM

On the Edit Person screen, the Living flag is on the far right hand of the screen, below Sex and Suffix.

I think this is a case were the usability of RM would be improved and the clickiness would be reduced if a little bit more information were displayed in the big panel in the upper part of the screen that has the person's name, birth info, marriage info, and death info. The right hand side of this panel is pretty much empty.  I wish the empty space included the person's sex, living flag, and relationship. The relationship is already on the screen, but it's in a tiny font in the far bottom left corner of the screen and a lot of iusers don 't even notice that it's there. I think the relationship should be in the top right corner of the screen instead, and in a slightly bigger font.

And while we are wishing happy thoughts, if those items were in the top right corner of the screen in the unused space that's already there, why not make the sex and the living flag editable without having to go into the Edit Person screen. If the Living flag is on,click it and it turns off. If the living flag is off, click it and it turns on. If the sex is male, click it and it becomes female. If the sex is female, click it it becomes unknown. If the sex is unknown, click it and it becomes male. No drop down boxes would be required. Drop down boxes are sometimes necessary, but drop down boxes = clickiness.

Jerry

#9 AuntFrahn

AuntFrahn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:13 PM

Oh!!! Duh!!!

Thanks!

Now, looking through the reports/lists I don't see one for Living. Looks like a good selection to choose from for other analysis.

If not, should I look at custom reports and see if I can make one?  Would I be able to add the living flag?

Just looked at custom reports and knowing if it is doable before I put a bunch of time in it.

Thanks

#10 AuntFrahn

AuntFrahn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:22 PM

I think this is a case were the usability of RM would be improved and the clickiness would be reduced if a little bit more information were displayed in the big panel in the upper part of the screen that has the person's name, birth info, marriage info, and death info. The right hand side of this panel is pretty much empty.  I wish the empty space included the person's sex, living flag, and relationship. The relationship is already on the screen, but it's in a tiny font in the far bottom left corner of the screen and a lot of iusers don 't even notice that it's there. I think the relationship should be in the top right corner of the screen instead, and in a slightly bigger font.

And while we are wishing happy thoughts, if those items were in the top right corner of the screen in the unused space that's already there, why not make the sex and the living flag editable without having to go into the Edit Person screen. If the Living flag is on,click it and it turns off. If the living flag is off, click it and it turns on. If the sex is male, click it and it becomes female. If the sex is female, click it it becomes unknown. If the sex is unknown, click it and it becomes male. No drop down boxes would be required. Drop down boxes are sometimes necessary, but drop down boxes = clickiness.

Jerry

I do agree. Looking at each of the views: pedigree/family/descendants I see the area at the top you are talking about. Yes, real estate that could be put to better use. Don't think it would be too cluttered, either.

Not sure where the relationship is. Looked at the bottom left and didn't notice the relationship.

As you can tell, I'm still getting used to RootsMagic.

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3982 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:22 PM

Now, how do I see a list of people RootsMagic has set to living or not?

Somebody is probably going to prove me wrong, but I don't think there is a built-in report to list living and not living individuals.

Also, I don't think the Living flag can be made into a column in People VIew or into a column in Custom reports. I think being able to do so would be a wonderful feature, so maybe Renee can add it to the wish list.

What you can do is that you can search on the living flag. So you can so a search on a condition of Living flag is true or Living flag is false. That can be a useful thing to do in and of itself. Given that you can do such a search, you can make a group or do a color coding based on the Living flag. Given that you can make a group based on the Living flag, you can place the group you made into the Sidebar index at left side of the screen or you can go into People View in the main part of the screen and then filter the people view on the group. Finally, you can write Custom reports that query based on the group that you just made. If you are interested, I can provide more details of which options you might like to try.

Jerry

#12 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3982 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:32 PM

Not sure where the relationship is. Looked at the bottom left and didn't notice the relationship.

The relationship feature is not on unless you set it. They way you set it is Tools->Set Relationship. Most users set themselves as the home person for the relationship feature, but you can set anybody in your database as the home person. Having don the Set Relationship, the bottom left corner of the screen will show you the relationship between the home person and the person who is currently highlighted -  second great grandfather, second cousin once removed, or whatever.

If the Set Relationship feature is important to you, when you add people to your database then you need to run Set Relationship again. Newly added people do not become part of the relationship feature until you run Set Relationship again.

There is a report called the Kinship List that you can run at any time and it doesn't depend on Set Relationships. The only purpose of Set Relationships is to show the relationships on your screen while you are working. Set Relationships doesn't have anything to do with any RM reports.

Jerry

#13 AuntFrahn

AuntFrahn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:33 PM

Somebody is probably going to prove me wrong, but I don't think there is a built-in report to list living and not living individuals.

Also, I don't think the Living flag can be made into a column in People VIew or into a column in Custom reports. I think being able to do so would be a wonderful feature, so maybe Renee can add it to the wish list.

What you can do is that you can search on the living flag. So you can so a search on a condition of Living flag is true or Living flag is false. That can be a useful thing to do in and of itself. Given that you can do such a search, you can make a group or do a color coding based on the Living flag. Given that you can make a group based on the Living flag, you can place the group you made into the Sidebar index at left side of the screen or you can go into People View in the main part of the screen and then filter the people view on the group. Finally, you can write Custom reports that query based on the group that you just made. If you are interested, I can provide more details of which options you might like to try.

Jerry

Wow! Very useful. I just tested on a small database I was trying to export for a cousin, but wanted to leave out birthdays of living people. I saw the 'find' for 'living flag'. 

However, it looks like I got everyone if what is showing on what I think is the 'results' pane to the left is really the results. Apparently, I am not living. Maybe I set something wrong through the import process or an export to GEDCOM that I was bringing back into RootsMagic.

#14 AuntFrahn

AuntFrahn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:39 PM

The relationship feature is not on unless you set it. They way you set it is Tools->Set Relationship. Most users set themselves as the home person for the relationship feature, but you can set anybody in your database as the home person. Having don the Set Relationship, the bottom left corner of the screen will show you the relationship between the home person and the person who is currently highlighted -  second great grandfather, second cousin once removed, or whatever.

If the Set Relationship feature is important to you, when you add people to your database then you need to run Set Relationship again. Newly added people do not become part of the relationship feature until you run Set Relationship again.

There is a report called the Kinship List that you can run at any time and it doesn't depend on Set Relationships. The only purpose of Set Relationships is to show the relationships on your screen while you are working. Set Relationships doesn't have anything to do with any RM reports.

Jerry

GOT IT!

I like seeing the relationship on the bottom - or somewhere. However, I keep clicking on 'set root person' for myself and it doesn't make me the home person. In FTM, home would be me. Root would be the pedigree view swapping of husband and wife.

Thanks,

Fran

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: privatize