6 replies to this topic

#1 DoninRiver

DoninRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:55 PM

I want to enter the following:  Walberton, Sussex, England with a date of 1662.  RootsMagic activates County Check - suggesting Sussex, England, United Kingdom

then

Problems:  East Sussex wasn't created until 1 April 1889.

According to Wikipedia: The history of the United Kingdom as a unified sovereign state began in 1707 with the political union of the kingdoms of England and Scotland,[1] into a united kingdom called Great Britain.  If Wikipedia is correct, CountyCheck needs to be corrected.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3231 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:30 AM

I want to enter the following:  Walberton, Sussex, England with a date of 1662.  RootsMagic activates County Check - suggesting Sussex, England, United Kingdom

then

Problems:  East Sussex wasn't created until 1 April 1889.

According to Wikipedia: The history of the United Kingdom as a unified sovereign state began in 1707 with the political union of the kingdoms of England and Scotland,[1] into a united kingdom called Great Britain.  If Wikipedia is correct, CountyCheck needs to be corrected.

As far as I can see you are correct and County Check is incorrect in this case. Apart from the fact Walberton is in West Sussex your recording of Walberton, Sussex, England for 1662 would seem to be correct.

You can turn County Check OFF if you are finding repeated problems. In this case CountyCheck Explorer lists Sussex, England, United Kingdom as being in existence 1066 ro 1889 when I imagine the split designation of East and West Sussex took place so CountyCheck was wrong to flag as it did.

Nobody likes half baked food, so leave it in the oven and tend to it a bit longer till it's just perfect.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3409 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:59 AM

When I enter Walberton, Sussex, England and County Check suggests Sussex, England, United Kingdom ...it seems weird that County Check, in other usages, says that United Kingdom was not created until 1 May 1707 but offers an alternative that has the still not existent (in 1662) United Kingdom :)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 Norman Law

Norman Law

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:41 AM

Actually it was Great Britain that was created in 1707. The United Kingdom was not created until 1801 when Ireland (laterly Northern Ireland) was united with Gt. Britain to become the United Kingdom of Great Britain and (Northern) Ireland.  :rolleyes:

#5 MNA

MNA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:12 AM

I would like a way to turn off the insistance of adding United Kingdom at the end of all location options. It's not necessary and as previously stated often wrong! Guess I will have to turn off all location options.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3231 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:48 AM

I would like a way to turn off the insistance of adding United Kingdom at the end of all location options. It's not necessary and as previously stated often wrong! Guess I will have to turn off all location options.

I believe the Country is important to maintain an international standard but also believe this County Check suggestion should be entered in the Standardized Place Name with geocoding and not the user entered Place field.

There has been lots of previous discussion on Places and County Check, one link below;

http://forums.rootsm...ng-place-names/

Nobody likes half baked food, so leave it in the oven and tend to it a bit longer till it's just perfect.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8050 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:46 AM

It's an all of nothing with CountyCheck. You would need to turn it off if you don't want to use the standard.  Go to Tools>Program Options>General and uncheck "Use CountyCheck when entering places".

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: county, check