Photo

Easiest way to transfer files from RM 6 to RM 7?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Syd

Syd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:58 PM

I am getting ready to install RootsMagic 7 from the CD.   My files are currently in RootsMagic 6 on the same computer.  I have Windows 7 Pro.

I can not find anything on the forums or at the RM blog as to how to transfer the files.   I remember I moved from a really old version to 6 a couple of years ago, and I finally used a gedcom to move the files. Seems it should be simpler going from just 6 to 7. 

Any tips on this?  I would appreciate it. I hate to start installing without any idea what's next.  :)

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:57 PM

RM6 and RM7 can read each other's files. A minimalist solution would therefore be just to point RM7 at your RM6 database and you are ready to go. However, I would instead recommend making a copy of your RM6 database in a different folder and pointing your RM7 system to the copy. Thereafter, I wouldn't recommend trying to sync the two databases or anything like that. Just let RM7 be your production system and "abandon" your RM6 system, just keeping it around for reference to how your data was at a point in time.

Also, when you do the RM7 install, it will ask you if you want to delete previous versions of RM. I would recommend saying "no".

The real danger here is that you might end up working on the RM6 database part of the time and on the RM7 database part of the time and forgetting which data you had entered where. If you feel like you are prone to that kind of computing mistake, you might be better off just pointing RM7 at your RM6 and being done with it.

Jerry

#3 Syd

Syd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:51 PM

I would guess when you say to have RM7 point to RM6 that you mean import files into 7 from 6?   I have not worked with RM6 for a while, but I think it gives a choice of what format to import?  What format would be best? 

You are probably right about saving files from 6 in a new folder.  Will 7 be picky about what I name the folder or files? 

BTW thanks for your prompt reply. 

I have made the RM cds for family using Version 6.  Can I do the same in 7, and is it user friendly?  

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:38 AM

I would guess when you say to have RM7 point to RM6 that you mean import files into 7 from 6? 

No, there is no import. From RM7 you can simply open your RM6 file as if it were a RM7 file and you can continue using the exact same file except you are using it from RM7 instead of from RM6. For that matter, having done so you can go back and use the exact same file again from RM6. RM6 doesn't do anything to the file that prevents it being used from RM7, and RM7 doesn't do anything to the file that prevents it being used from RM6.

This is unlike with some previous versions of RM where imports of various sorts might have been required to go from version to version. However, I'm puzzled that you had to use GEDCOM when you went to RM6. RM6 should have been able to do a direct import from any previous version of RM without having to use GEDCOM. But there is no point in revisiting that old problem since you have already solved it.

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:32 AM

You won't need RM6 after installing RM7 so just accept the option when presented to uninstall it, or do it later. The RM6 database will open directly in RM7 and your good to go.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Syd

Syd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

Thanks to you both.   I think I feel confident enough now to give it a try.   Much appreciate the responses.

Syd