9 replies to this topic

#1 PollyH

PollyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:15 AM

What switch option do I append to the [person] field to get the female married name?

[person] died< [Desc]>< [Date]>< [person:Age]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

Produces:

Mary Jane Smith died on 21 Jan 1992 at the age of 82 at Berkshire Nursing Center in West Babylon, Suffolk County, New York.

Mary Jane Smith being her full maiden name. I would like it to read "Mary Jane Jones" . . . her name (married) at death.

Polly

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:06 PM

There is none.

You could share the event with her husband assigning him the custom role of, say, "spouse". Don't create a sentence template for this role but rather make a custom sentence for her fact. E.g., [person:given] [spouse:surname] died...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 PollyH

PollyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:21 AM

Yes, thanks. That worked Tom. However, it's an awkward fix. It would be good if there was a modifier for married names. Thanks you for the solution.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3670 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:05 AM

Yes, thanks. That worked Tom. However, it's an awkward fix. It would be good if there was a modifier for married names. Thanks you for the solution.

It's not exactly clear to me how a modifier for married names would work. Namely, how would RM know which married name to use if there were multiple spouses? Would it have to use the date of the event (such as death) and then look at the dates of the marriages and find the spouse that matched? What if you didn't have the dates for the marriages, or what if you didn't have the marriage events at all? Without remembering (or even knowing) all the details, I believe that TMG did solve these problems, but TMG was a very complicated system to use.

Given that you have an awkward fix anyway, and given that you have to customize the sentence for a particular event anyway, you could simplify the whole process just by hard coding the sentence the way you want it to read Mary Jane Jones died .... instead of [person:given] [spouse:surname] died... if Mary's married name was Mary Jane Jones. That way, you don't even have to mess around with sharing events at all. Indeed, there is nothing in the Sentence Template Language that says that you have to use variables. If you want to create a sentence template for a fact or for a role for a fact, then obviously you need variables. But if you are customizing a particular sentence, then you don't really need variables.

Jerry

P.S. And even if there was only one spouse, if there was a divorce then sometimes the woman's maiden name is restored by the divorce and sometimes it isn't. And no matter how many spouses there are, sometimes a woman never uses the names of any of her husbands and always uses her maiden name instead. It's a very complicated problem to solve just with the Sentence Template Language.

#5 Malcolm Perrins

Malcolm Perrins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

As a TMG users I have used the married name extensively for events post the marriage (e.g. census, divorce, death, obituaries, etc). You select the name required from a drop down list for the individual for each event so multiple marriages or divorces are all handled quite neatly. Is there a way like in TMG to select between a married name or maiden name of an individual as required? 

If the work-around above is the only current solution then are there plans to put in place a more sophisicated solution in later releases of the software?

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8527 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:26 AM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. Unknown if it will be added or not.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 momakid

momakid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:53 PM

I encountered a married name problem when I was trying to attach funeral cards to the wives.  Most funeral cards have the married name and not the maiden name.  So I had a hard time finding the person. My solution was to add an alternate name. 

For example Jane Doe married John Smith.

The Given name for the alternate record was the Given Name and the Surname name.  (Jane Doe)

The Surname was the husbands Surname. (Smith)

The NameType of Married. 

The prefix was Mrs.

The suffix was the husbands Given name with parenthesis around his Given name. ((John))

That way the Surname (Married name), the Prefix, the Given Name, the Maiden name and the husband's Given name is all displayed.  (Smith, Mrs. Jane Doe (John))

I had over 400 funeral cards and the alternate name made a big difference in finding the person on the funeral card. 

It would be nice to have the alternate name created when a marriage date was added. or a button to create the alternate name based on the husband and wife. It could be auto filled and editable.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8527 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:49 AM

You can search for a person by their married name without it being an alternate name.

Go to Search>Person List>NameFind. It will search Surname (birth or married).

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 momakid

momakid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:49 AM

Thanks Renee. I did not know I could find them that way.

For me personally, those steps are time consuming when you have hundreds of searches to do.

With the Alternate name and the maiden name in the list on the left side makes finding someone a whole lot faster with a single click. 

I am all about saving time and being productive.

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:36 PM

Better support for married names has been on the Wish List for a few years. This outboard batch procedure has been around for much of that period http://sqlitetoolsfo...s - Add Married

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.