#1 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:15 PM

RM7 file changed on mac.

closed iphone app, clicked syn and reopened app to find file changes not there.

had to add the same file to RM7 app and replace the one the app had. Then changes were there.

Is this the way to update the iphone file? It seems like synching with the mac should take care of this.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7167 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:21 PM

Did you add it to a Dropbox file or were you using iTunes?

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:32 PM

Sorry--key omission. Yes I used itunes. I do not use Dropbox at all.

#4 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2642 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:44 PM

RM7 file changed on mac.

closed iphone app, clicked syn and reopened app to find file changes not there.

had to add the same file to RM7 app and replace the one the app had. Then changes were there.

Is this the way to update the iphone file? It seems like synching with the mac should take care of this.

I'm a PC user rather than a Mac user, but I suspect that the concept is the same in either environment.

I have two copies of my current rmgc file on my hard disk. One copy is where I really work on it and the other copy is in the Dropbox\Apps\RootsMagic\ folder. The second copy exists only for the purpose of syncing with the mobile app. It is not intended as a backup copy or anything like that. My real backup copies are somewhere else. It is in the Dropbox\Apps\RootsMagic\ folder where my iPhone and iPad apps look for the file. So if I want to sync with the mobile app I have to do a manual copy of my rmgc file on my PC from where I really keep it to the Dropbox\Apps\RootsMagic\ folder on my PC.

Having done the manual copy as described in the previous paragraph, the Dropbox app on my PC automatically syncs with the Dropbox cloud, and the RM mobile app automatically is notified by the Dropbox app on the mobile device that there is an updated copy of the rmgc file in the Dropbox cloud. If you then tell the mobile app to sync, it does so auto,automatically. You don't have to deal directly with the Dropbox app on the mobile device.

The back slashes in the file string are a Windows-ism. The rest of the world uses forward slashes for the same purpose.

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7167 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:15 AM

Did you go back into the RM App under files and select the newly updated one? It should have then replaced the one on the app.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:20 PM

yes it did replace it but this is a very clumsy approach. I had expected itunes sync to refresh the app's copy.

I tried to use the app today offsite and was unable to display people not in my direct line:  grandfather's brother.