• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jenny

Jenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:36 AM

I have recently bought a new computer and transferred my Rootsmagic to it.  However the pictures did not transfer.  How do I import all my pictures, without doing them one by one.

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:49 AM

I'm assuming that you have the old computer or a usable backup of the photos.

Copy, from the old computer, the folder (or set of folders) that contain your photos to a transfer drive (USB, memory stick, external hard drive, etc.)

Plug the transfer drive into the new computer, and copy the photo folders to a convenient drive. I prefer to have my photos stored on a separate drive from the Windows installation, so I have mine at:

E:\0_genes\media  - - - and then about 100 sub-folders to organize my collection, which includes JPG, PNG, PDF, and other file types

Run RM6, go to Tools - Program Options - Folders and set the default Multimedia files folder (use the [...] navigation button) to the top-level of your photo collectioin - for me that would be "E:\0_genes\media"

Now go to Lists - Media Gallery - [Tools] - Fix broken media links

Unless you mistakenly gave two or more photo files the same name, this will take care of it.

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3259 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:22 AM

Alternatively, on the RootsMagic Version 7 backup screen there is a checkbox to Backup media files ...it includes all media files being saved to a single folder and archived along with each associated database.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 Jenny

Jenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:41 AM

Thank you!  That worked wonderfully on all the pictures except for the odd one.   Good enough for me!