• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 epurves

epurves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:34 AM

Is there a way in RM7 to show the days of the week with dates?

Recently I was asked for some birth date information (luckily only 5 people from my database) and the person wanted to know what day of the week the event took place. I had to copy the date from RM7 and use a web calculator to do this.  It would be good if this information were to hand.

Thanks

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1581 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:11 AM

Yes, you can show the day of the week with a date; using the :DayOfWeek modifier

Here's my current sentence for the Birth, Marriage, and Death facts:

Birth

[person]<% a male,| a female,| of unknown gender,> was born< [Date:DayOfWeek]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>< [Desc]>.

Marriage

<b>[Couple:Caps]</b> <#Couple#was|were> married< [Date:DayOfWeek]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place:Short]>.<?[Desc]| [Couple:HeShe:Proper] were [Desc].|>

Death

[person] died< [Desc]>< [Date:DayOfWeek]>< [person:Age]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

#3 epurves

epurves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:39 AM

Thanks for this not quite what I had in mind (would like to see day of week on the Pedigree and family screens) but this is a good work around for the reports.

Thanks

#4 epurves

epurves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:46 AM

Is there a way to show the full day i.e. Sunday rather than Sun.

Thanks

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1581 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:58 AM

I don't see another way to show the DayOfWeek - in fact, the example in the Help file shows "Tuesday", but in use my reports all show "Tue".

Renee - Is this a bug to be added to the Wish List?

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3880 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:40 AM

I had to copy the date from RM7 and use a web calculator to do this.  It would be good if this information were to hand.

It's not quite what you are looking for, but you don't have to use a Web calculator for dates. RM has one built right in. While you are in the Edit Person screen, highlight the event in question, and then click on the calendar icon in the date field on the far right hand to the screen.

Jerry

#7 BrendaH

BrendaH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:00 AM

Yes, you can show the day of the week with a date; using the :DayOfWeek modifier

Here's my current sentence for the Birth, Marriage, and Death facts:

Birth

[person]<% a male,| a female,| of unknown gender,> was born< [Date:DayOfWeek]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>< [Desc]>.

Marriage

<b>[Couple:Caps]</b> <#Couple#was|were> married< [Date:DayOfWeek]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place:Short]>.<?[Desc]| [Couple:HeShe:Proper] were [Desc].|>

Death

[person] died< [Desc]>< [Date:DayOfWeek]>< [person:Age]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

Hate to show my ignorance, but could you please tell us HOW to use this? I have been using RM since its conception, but I just use reports that have already been created.  Being able to start with a canned report and add to it sounds fantastic.  Thank you.

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3880 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:20 AM

...   but could you please tell us HOW to use this? ...

There are two ways to do it. For example, you can do it one time and it will cover every birth event in your database, or you can do it for each birth event in your database, one at a time. In normal circumstances, you would want to do it one time and cover every birth event in your database. You would do it for each birth event in your database, one at a time, only if you wanted to do it for some birth events but not for others.

So here is what you would do for the birth event. Go to the Fact Type List from the menu bar via Lists->Fact Type List... Double click Birth from the list (or single click Birth and then single click the Edit button). Double click Principal in the list of roles, or single click Principal and single click the Edit button.

At this point, the default sentence template for the Birth event will be displayed, and you can edit it to be anything you wish.  The default is as follows.

[person] was born< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

Change it to say the following.

[person] was born< [Date:DayOfWeek]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

Click OK, OK, and Close, and you will be done with the birth fact. Do the same thing with any of the other fact types for which you wish the day of week to appear.

Suppose instead that you only wish the day of week to be displayed for the birth event for John Doe. Go to John Doe and double click him. You will be in his Edit Person screen. Double click his birth fact. On the far right hand of the screen at the bottom of the data for John you will see text that says Customize sentence. Single click on that text and you will see the sentence template that's just for John. Make the change there, and it will be changed just for John. You can do the same thing on a case by case for anybody else in your database, but normally you will want to use the first method because it applies to everybody in your database all at one go.

Jerry

#9 BrendaH

BrendaH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

There are two ways to do it. For example, you can do it one time and it will cover every birth event in your database, or you can do it for each birth event in your database, one at a time. In normal circumstances, you would want to do it one time and cover every birth event in your database. You would do it for each birth event in your database, one at a time, only if you wanted to do it for some birth events but not for others.

So here is what you would do for the birth event. Go to the Fact Type List from the menu bar via Lists->Fact Type List... Double click Birth from the list (or single click Birth and then single click the Edit button). Double click Principal in the list of roles, or single click Principal and single click the Edit button.

At this point, the default sentence template for the Birth event will be displayed, and you can edit it to be anything you wish.  The default is as follows.

[person] was born< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

Change it to say the following.

[person] was born< [Date:DayOfWeek]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

Click OK, OK, and Close, and you will be done with the birth fact. Do the same thing with any of the other fact types for which you wish the day of week to appear.

Suppose instead that you only wish the day of week to be displayed for the birth event for John Doe. Go to John Doe and double click him. You will be in his Edit Person screen. Double click his birth fact. On the far right hand of the screen at the bottom of the data for John you will see text that says Customize sentence. Single click on that text and you will see the sentence template that's just for John. Make the change there, and it will be changed just for John. You can do the same thing on a case by case for anybody else in your database, but normally you will want to use the first method because it applies to everybody in your database all at one go.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thank you so VERY much for telling me how to use it.  I can see that this is something that would be extremely useful.  I do thank you ever so much.

Brenda

#10 BrendaH

BrendaH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:04 AM

Is there a way to add age at marriage?  I believe the default program lists age at death, but I'm not seeing that it shows age at marriage. Is it possible to show this in a default report?

One additional thing I would *REALLY* love to see is the ability to show more detailed information in family group sheets. For example, I would like to see birth dates and locations and death dates and locations of spouses in family group sheets. I would REALLY love that. Is that possible somehow?

Brenda

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3880 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:11 PM

Let me answer in reverse order. In case of the Family Group Sheets, it appears to me that the information you are requesting is already there. Could you perhaps clarify a little further what is missing?

In the case of age at marriage, it is doable but you might have to play with it a little bit to get it to look the way you wish.  The default sentence template for marriage is the following.

[couple] <#Couple#was|were> married< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

So the default template uses the [couple] variable to print both spouses. To get the ages, you will have to split the couple apart. Perhaps something like the following would meet your needs.

[Person:full]< age [Person:Age:plain]> married [Spouse:full]< age [Spouse:Age:plain]>< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

You would need to decide if this construction meets your needs. You might like to add some punctuation (perhaps some commas). You might nor might not want the :full parameter parameter or the :plain parameter. Etc.

Jerry

#12 BrendaH

BrendaH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:19 PM

In terms of the Family Group Sheet, I would like to have spousal information on the children.  Maybe my memory is not remembering correctly, but I think the information in the FGS is great for the children of the couple, but lacks a lot when it comes to the information on the spousal information of the children themselves.  

For example, if I create a Family Group Sheet for Jacob Hare and his wife Mary Limpke, they have 11 children.  Information for the 11 children is great, but I think the FGS lacks a lot for the spousal information for each of the 11 children.  I would like to take FGS to search at libraries, but I always find myself wondering about the spouses of those children.

Brenda

#13 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1581 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:07 PM

As originally conceived, many years before computers became common in genealogy, the FGS is just about a single family. As such, your request to add spousal information for the children is inconsistent with the original goal for the FGS.

What you could do is to run a 2 or 3-generation descendant report. That would include the info you are looking for, although it would be organized a bit differently than the FGS.

#14 BrendaH

BrendaH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:10 PM

As originally conceived, many years before computers became common in genealogy, the FGS is just about a single family. As such, your request to add spousal information for the children is inconsistent with the original goal for the FGS.

What you could do is to run a 2 or 3-generation descendant report. That would include the info you are looking for, although it would be organized a bit differently than the FGS.

I agree.  I used to type the FGS out with a typewriter.  Back then, if I were typing out to take to a library, would I add spousal information for my own use, so I could research spouses along with the original family.  

I will run the 3 generation report.  It will do what I need.  I just think the FGS is so much more concise.

#15 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1581 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:37 PM

If a concise report is important to you, you might want to consider using the Point Form reports developed by Jerry, and enabled by Tom's use of SQLite to automatically convert the Fact Type sentences. Look under the Tips forum for more info.

#16 BrendaH

BrendaH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:41 PM

If a concise report is important to you, you might want to consider using the Point Form reports developed by Jerry, and enabled by Tom's use of SQLite to automatically convert the Fact Type sentences. Look under the Tips forum for more info.

Thank you so VERY much.

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8656 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:01 AM

I don't see another way to show the DayOfWeek - in fact, the example in the Help file shows "Tuesday", but in use my reports all show "Tue".

Renee - Is this a bug to be added to the Wish List?

Use < [Date:Full:DayOfWeek]> to get the full spelling of the day of the week.

The Help file example is incorrect. There isn't anyway to blend full and abbreviated month and day of the week. I have reported that to development.

Renee
RootsMagic

#18 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1581 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:25 AM

Use < [Date:Full:DayOfWeek]> to get the full spelling of the day of the week.

The Help file example is incorrect. There isn't anyway to blend full and abbreviated month and day of the week. I have reported that to development.

I tried both [Date:Full:DayOfWeek] and [Date:DayOfWeek:Full} and both printed the abbreviated day "Tue" not"Tuesday"

#19 epurves

epurves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:52 AM

I have tried < [Date:Full:DayOfWeek]> but still comes back to abbreviated version

#20 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3481 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:35 AM

I tried both [Date:Full:DayOfWeek] and [Date:DayOfWeek:Full} and both printed the abbreviated day "Tue" not"Tuesday"

ie. Sentence preview of DayOfWeek (regardless of options) ALWAYS shows full spelling BUT resulting output DOES NOT MATCH (is abbreviated)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N