5 replies to this topic

#1 Canuk

Canuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:23 PM

I have started a database for somebody, and now he has purchased his own RootsMagic 7 and would like to take over the research. He wants it to be a stand alone database and not shared on the internet. How can I put everything that I have on my RM7, including media, on to his, exactly as I have it? Step by step please, he is a newbie, and I am much more researcher than technical. Thanks.

Canuk
Searching in Kent, England

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1474 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:04 PM

Is your new collaborator local to you?

Do you have media files that need to be included?

#3 Canuk

Canuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:25 PM

Yes, and yes.

Canuk
Searching in Kent, England

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1474 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:02 PM

Then the easiest method may be to make a Shareable CD (see Help - Contents - shareable). This will prepare a CD with your full database and all of the linked media. Give the CD to your collaborator, and have it copied onto the new hard drive.

That's it !!

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8315 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:34 PM

You could also send them a backup with media. Check the option on the Windows version to include the media. They use File>Restore to open it on their computer. It will put the media in a sub-folder where the database is restored.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

...    exactly as I have it?    ...

A great deal depends on how literally you mean "... exactly as I have it... ". It is easy to make an exact copy of your RM database. Both the Sharable CD option and the backup with media option will also retain all your media files, but the media files will all be placed in a single huge folder with no sub-folders. If that's ok, then either the Shareable CD option or the backup with media option should be fine. Otherwise, you will need to copy your media files and their folder structure via some mechanism that is external to RM.

Jerry