• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dkaffine

dkaffine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:28 AM

I am considering switching to RootsMagic from another program, and am trying it out via RM Essentials and the iOS app.

I am finding that navigating the pedigree view in the descendant direction is quite clumsy - taking five separate "clicks" to descend to anyone other than the oldest child.  (1 - click on the current primary person, 2 - view full details, 3 - click on the desired child, 4 - Set Primary, 5 - select pedigree view again).  Well, I guess I can cut that to 4 by clicking the Family view in place of the first 2 steps.

Hopefully, I'm just missing an even easier way.  I reviewed all the forum postings, and while there were a couple about requiring multiple clicks in other cases, nothing I could find about this particular issue.

When I click on the arrow to the left of the current primary, it always seems to descend to the oldest child.  If it defaulted to the child that was an ancestor of the root person, which is how RM Essentials seems to work, and how my current genealogy program+app work, that would generally cut down on the clicks.  (If this is how it works for others on the iOS app, I'd be interested to know - I had to manually change the root person in my RM database after importing my gedcom, but that was definitely before transferring to the iOS app, so it should know the correct root person).

If the popup that is shown after clicking on a person in the pedigree view had a "Children" button in addition to "Parents" and "Spouses", that could cut it down to a tolerable 3 clicks.

Better, though, would be for the left arrow to bring up a popup of all possible children (this is what my current mobile app does, with path toward root person in a different color).  And ideal, in my view, would be for a quick tap of the left arrow to descend toward the root, and a long press to bring up a popup of children.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2701 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:13 PM

My solution for this problem is to use the Family Tab in RM's sidebar about 90% of the time. The Family Tab is not the default sidebar. The Index Tab is the default sidebar, and I understand why it is the default. But for my the Family Tab is much more useful most of the time. And it's useful for many more reasons than just to simplify navigation when the main view is in Pedigree mode.

The only quibble I have with the Family Tab in the sidebar is that I have to select a child and then click Go - much too clicky for my taste. Most of the other sidebar tabs are "hot" and only require one click. I don't know why the Family Tab has to require two. But two is still a whole lot less than five.

Jerry

#3 dkaffine

dkaffine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:02 PM

Thank you for that suggestion - that does seem like a good way of reducing some of the clicks.

As far as I can tell, however, you're talking about the main RootsMagic program running on a computer, is that right?

On the iOS app, I can't see any way to change the sidebar from anything other than a Surname selection list.  But I do see how to change the sidebar to Family in the main program.

I'll admit that it's not completely clear from my original question (especially using the term "click"), but I was mainly asking about navigation in the iOS app.  I certainly appreciate and will take advantage of your suggestion on my laptop.  Do you have any experience or related suggestions for the iOS app?  Am I missing a way to get a similar Family sidebar there that would help with navigation?

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2701 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:03 PM

As far as I can tell, however, you're talking about the main RootsMagic program running on a computer, is that right?

Yes, I'm talking about the main RM program running on a computer. As you point out, navigation in the IOS app is very different than it is in the main RM program.

Jerry