MIKE0301

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:58 PM

This may not be the correct place.  

I'm a new user RM for MAC.  

I cannot use the 'HELP' function.  

The screen opens but won't allow me to open the index or use the 'search' function. If I do the entire HELP box goes blank and freezes the HELP screen.  Today it locked up the program requiring a force quit.  

Is this a quirk for the MAC based program?  

Is there something I should know?

As a new user I'd like to be able to call up the help function.

I run OSX 10.11.1.

#2 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:18 AM

This may not be the correct place.  
I'm a new user RM for MAC.  
I cannot use the 'HELP' function.  
The screen opens but won't allow me to open the index or use the 'search' function. If I do the entire HELP box goes blank and freezes the HELP screen.  Today it locked up the program requiring a force quit.  

Is this a quirk for the MAC based program?  
Is there something I should know?
As a new user I'd like to be able to call up the help function.

I run OSX 10.11.1.

I'm afraid you have discovered one of the limitations of the Mac version of RM. From a technical perspective, the problem stems from the inability of the stripped down version of Internet Explorer that is packaged with RM for Mac to handle CHM files. There are a number of free applications in the Mac App Store that can handle such files, and I will append some additional suggestions later today.

#3 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:17 AM

I'm afraid you have discovered one of the limitations of the Mac version of RM. From a technical perspective, the problem stems from the inability of the stripped down version of Internet Explorer that is packaged with RM for Mac to handle CHM files. There are a number of free applications in the Mac App Store that can handle such files, and I will append some additional suggestions later today.

The program that I use is called CHM Reader and it is available in the Mac App Store - and is free (though there are enhanced options for a charge).

Use that to open the RM help file which is called RootsMagic.chm. The challenge is to find that file. What I have done is find the file once and copy it to a folder within my Documents folder. Note that you cannot access the file using the standard Open process within CHM Reader without copying it to somewhere accessible.

To find the file, look for RootsMagic.app in your Application folder. Right click it and then select Show Package Contents. This will display a Contents folder. Expand this and follow down the hierachy Contents/SharedSupport/rootsmagic/support/RootsMagic/drive_c/Program Files/RootsMagic 7, expanding each level in turn, and in that last folder you will find the file RootsMagic.chm. Copy this to somewhere easier to find.  

Although I am not sure, the downside could be that you lose the automatic positioning into the Help that RM could (? does) provide by knowing from where you initiate Help.

I hope this helps.

#4 MIKE0301

MIKE0301

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:50 AM

JP,

Thank you for the information. I shall approach it from that angle.

Presently, I'm wading through Genome Mate.  Looks to be a good application but it's a very, very busy program. It specifically references RM's treatment of GEDCOMs.

Thank you.

#5 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:26 AM

Congradulations! You have discovered the joys of a non-native mac application on the mac. RM7 works fairly well but some parts don't and you have to ignore the real mac menu bar on top.

You might be happier upgrading to Sierra and Renee has a good guide to reinstalling RM7 for that OS. Both the program and it's wrapper need to be changed.

One of Rootsmagic's strengths is the $10 basic printed manual they provide. It is very helpful in grasping program concepts for new users.