1 reply to this topic

#1 Serenity20061

Serenity20061

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:57 PM

I am so excited to hear that Roots Magic will sync with Ancestry.com later this year.  I have been tied to the FTM software for years because it was the only software that would sync with Ancestry.  FTM is NOT sync-friendly for large trees.  Over 90% of Ancestry.com user trees are under 200 people, so they build the program to their largest audience and have ignored the stability and efficiency needed for very large trees.  Roots Magic has been able to handle the large trees without a hitch (THANK YOU).  The ability to drag and drop people between trees is one of my favorite features in Roots Magic --- WHAT A TIMESAVER!!!! 

So my question is, what can I do over the next few months to prepare my data for the ability to sync between Roots Magic and Ancestry.com?  I have an Ancestry tree with over 90,000 people.  I am working on a county-wide tree in preparation for the county's 150 year celebration and don't want to find out later that all the "details" that I am adding won't import to Roots Magic or that the way I am recording place names will require a massive clean-up later to "standardize" place names to the way they are "standardized" in Roots Magic vs Ancestry.com vs. FamilySearch.  What about the way sources are structured in Ancestry.com vs. Roots Magic?

Any insight or tips that will allow me to clean up my data now to save time later would be greatly appreciated.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6250 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:08 AM

Until RootsMagic's interface with Ancestry.com has been "in the wild" for some months, you cannot reasonably expect to get any informed advice.

At best, you could review each person to see if you have any superfluous stuff you could delete or hints worth investigating or...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.