2 replies to this topic

#1 Leander

Leander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:11 PM

Hi,

I am a relative beginner with a single database covering all of my family and all of my wife's family, about 800 individuals.  I want to send a shareable CD with a newly discovered cousin.  I would like to exclude all the data that relates to my wife's family.

1. Can anyone suggest an easy way to do this?  The best I can come up with myself is to create a new database that is a copy of my main one, then manually delete individuals that are in my wife's family.  This will add up to several hundred people.  Is there an easier way, perhaps by selecting flags or something?

2) The Buzbee "Getting the Most Out of" manual only discusses writing to CD.  Is it possible to do the same thing, but with a flash drive (USB drive, thumb drive), rather than a CD?

Thanks for any help!

Leander

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:24 PM

The Shareable CD will include everyone in the database so you will need to create a database with only the people you want in it. I would drag n drop the line you want into a new blank database. Start with your line and select "Ancestors and their Descendants" and select the number of generations you want of each. It will climb up the tree that many generations and go down the tree on each ancestor that many generations. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Leander

Leander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:28 PM

Excellent!  Thank you!  Will try!

Leander

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: share, partial, database