• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 beachbaby

beachbaby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:11 AM

I have 2 databases in Rootsmagic 7.  One is my entire database with thousands of people entered.  The other is one I have just created, which includes my direct ancestors and descendants.  Is there a way of editing a person's notes and/or facts in one database and the update occurring in the other database as well?

As I understand it now, I can have both databases open simultaneously, but must manually enter the information I wish to edit in each database manually.  I appreciate any insight or directions that anyone can give.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6147 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:29 AM

There is no mechanism to do what you are asking. Nor is there any need to maintain a subset of a database as a separate file. In your big, master database, create a named group comprising your direct line. You can use the named group to satisfy the needs which motivated you to have a separate DB. The group can be used to colour code, to filter the People view and many reports, to be the list in the sidebar...

And please do not use hard-to-read fonts on this board - the default is ideal.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:33 AM

Having both databases open side-by-side, update the individual in the "entire" database ...then drag n' drop them into and ontop of their matching name in the "direct ancestors and descendants" database to merge the data. You then may have to "edit out" any "non-matching" info at the destination individual, that pre-existed the merge.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 beachbaby

beachbaby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:38 AM

Tom,

Thanks for your reply.  I will explore using a named group.  I have not done so before although I have colour-coded my direct lines.

I am a first-time poster so please forgive my font error.  The font & size fields were blank in the data entry page and gave me a choice of 9 fonts.  This time I'm leaving it blank and I hope that will be the default.

#5 beachbaby

beachbaby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:39 AM

kbens0n

That's so simple; it was right in front of me!  Thanks for your tip.  I shall use it!