6 replies to this topic

#1 ekeenan

ekeenan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:31 AM

Hi,

Further to a couple of conversations on Facebook etc regarding missing maiden name, it seems a lot of people, including myself use brackets + married name to id a person.

I was wondering of it was possible to bujild in a switch so that RM could ignore brackets when sorting (or in reports) at times.

e.g. John Smith married Jane [Smith]

It would be useful if they appear close to each other rather than the bracketed name appearing completely separately.

Not a huge thing, but could be very useful for a lot of users.

Cheers,

Edan

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3404 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:20 AM

Hi,

Further to a couple of conversations on Facebook etc regarding missing maiden name, it seems a lot of people, including myself use brackets + married name to id a person.

I was wondering of it was possible to bujild in a switch so that RM could ignore brackets when sorting (or in reports) at times.

e.g. John Smith married Jane [Smith]

It would be useful if they appear close to each other rather than the bracketed name appearing completely separately.

Not a huge thing, but could be very useful for a lot of users.

Cheers,

Edan

I'm not sure that Rootsmagic delevelopment would devote time to reverse engineering other non standard habits although I appreciate the square bracket name entry was fairly widespread. It would be better for users to work towards the standard that the program adopts rather than the program trying to facilitate differing types of non standard data entry.

To work towards this there are various things that can be done, altering the Gedcom file to insert an Alternate Name "Married" where square brackets are found in the surname would seem to overcome your problem. I have also seen the name suffix being used to try and display married name or other information and personally I would hope these non standard data entries would disappear over time for the benefit of the genealogy community.

Another option is to use SQL to alter the database and I would look at the excellent site TomH has put together, the link below is for one query which may not be exactly to your needs but I am sure it could be modified to make the changes you are looking for.

http://sqlitetoolsfo...s - Add Married

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Dave in New Brunswick

Dave in New Brunswick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:27 AM

It is just a case of changing your habit.  Quit using (Brackets). I just add an * behind the spouse' surname. Eg:

Jane Doe marries John Smith; She becomes Jane Smith*

John Doe marries Jane Smith; He becomes John Smith*

Yes, I have dozens of "1st name only" males; Most often obtained from obits.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3404 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:16 AM

It is just a case of changing your habit.  Quit using (Brackets). I just add an * behind the spouse' surname. Eg:

Jane Doe marries John Smith; She becomes Jane Smith*

John Doe marries Jane Smith; He becomes John Smith*

Yes, I have dozens of "1st name only" males; Most often obtained from obits.

I completely forgot to mention Tools>Dataclean and select names, that will give many options for cleaning names where extra indicators have been added.

Unfortunately where "Wife Shares Husbands Surname" with or without square brackets the option to create an Alternate Name "Married" does not presently exist, RM just proposes the erasing of the wifes surname.

That is perhaps a nice enhancement request which has come out of the original posters wish.

Maybe Renee could confirm if this is already in the tracking system?

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:34 AM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1505 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:18 PM

It sounds like I use the Alternate Name fact a lot more than other RM users. In fact, I use Alternate Name to record all variations in the person's name or spelling that I find in various records. For most records, this means I end up with between 7 and 10 Alternate Name facts, but a few have 20, 25, and even more. In the sidebar index, I have the option for Show Alternate Names checked on, and that way I can find individuals in the database under whatever spelling I've previously found them, quickly and easily. I set the "display" name to be my best understanding of that person's birth name (with occasional exceptions). Using the Sort Date, I arrange the various Alternate Names at the end of the list of facts/events, essentially in the person's life-sequence order (birth name, married name, next married name, etc.) While the standard sentence structure is repetitive, I've never had a complaint from readers of my reports - in fact, I get compliments on the completeness of my research and documentation.

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3404 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:32 AM

It sounds like I use the Alternate Name fact a lot more than other RM users. In fact, I use Alternate Name to record all variations in the person's name or spelling that I find in various records. .

I do exactly the same zhangrau, it makes life so much easier.

Many years ago I wished for the option to display RM Explorer and now Index by Surname Soundex. however, some of my main focus Surnames cover more than one Soundex code so the Alternate Name "Other Spelling" actually works better although a little more keyboard work.

Root

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Name sorting, Maiden names