2 replies to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:00 PM

I only recently recognised that the values that RootsMagic puts into the Relate1 and Relate2 fields of the PersonTable when the Set Relationships function is applied are more useful than merely codifying the relationship (e.g., see Relationships). Apart from special cases for Self and in-laws, the sum of the two values corresponds to the degree of consanguinity (see this Wikipedia article). For example, the degree of separation in consanguinity is the same from you to your g-g-grandparents (4) as it is to your 1st cousins and your great-aunts and -uncles and your grand-nephews and -nieces. It strikes me that the consanguinity degree might be an interesting, if not useful, basis for color coding. Indeed, it is so easily implemented, I wonder why it is not an option for the Color Code People tool or that consanguinity is not a criterion for finding people and creating groups.

Color_Code_by_Consanguinity_Pedigree.png

Example of color coding by consanguinity degree. Note that each generation of grandparents gets a different color, a difficult task in RootsMagic.

For the full story and scripts, visit  the SQLite Tools For RootsMagic wiki page  Color Code by Consanguinity Degree

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2697 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:42 AM

Very, very elegant.

Jerry

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1174 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:16 PM

It's too bad that the available color choices include some (gray, silver, yellow) with very poor contrast on a white background.