5 replies to this topic

#1 Roger-Ohio

Roger-Ohio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:50 AM

On a number of my To-Do items there are more than one repository where I could do the research.  I currently have to do duplicate entry of any such To-Do items then once the item is completed I have to remember to check the person's list of items and delete the duplicate.

It sure would be nice if we could have 2 or 3 repositories identified with a specific To-Do item. That way once the item is finished and the action is marked complete or deleted we would be finished with that task.

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1695 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:14 AM

That wish has been around for a while.  I  copy the list to a .rtf then transfer it into Excel to work with. AS to where I will be searching. Once it is done I go back to the Research Manager part of the program and update it to match my work. Extra steps but it has been my work around for many years/days of FO. The only way know to do it is to use 2 Repositories from the list in the regular database, but to me that is cumbersome also.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:43 AM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

I have been playing around with using Personal Historian as my Research Manager. I can attach multiple repositories to it using the Place field. I can have all the people, categories, places I want attached to that one research item (story). Filter it all on the area I am interested in. It's been a really interesting adventure.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3545 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:55 AM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

I have been playing around with using Personal Historian as my Research Manager. I can attach multiple repositories to it using the Place field. I can have all the people, categories, places I want attached to that one research item (story). Filter it all on the area I am interested in. It's been a really interesting adventure.

In my opinion Rootsmagic has all the building blocks of a good research management system but the program evolution has simply left these fragmented and lacking in usefullness.

I don't want to side track this thread but multiple repository selection is one such enhancement easily dealt and I would hope it would be. Tagging people to Correspondence Items, live selection of Repositories and Sources in Research Manager and more integration are very much needed.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:56 PM

Confirming those are on the enhancement request list.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Serenity20061

Serenity20061

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:10 PM

In my opinion Rootsmagic has all the building blocks of a good research management system but the program evolution has simply left these fragmented and lacking in usefullness.

I don't want to side track this thread but multiple repository selection is one such enhancement easily dealt and I would hope it would be. Tagging people to Correspondence Items, live selection of Repositories and Sources in Research Manager and more integration are very much needed.

I agree!  The "pieces" of a good research management program is there, but the integration is really an area that could use some improvement.  I am still using Excel, but would love to see a more robust and integrated research log.