• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OldBob2

OldBob2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:18 AM

I see there is a .reg file one needs to put in if you install RM6 to a W10 computer.  I UPGRADED from W7 to W10..do I still need to install the file? RM6 opens and seems to be working.  I also run RM 3 so I guess it will not work in W10 but it does open and seems to be working.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:40 PM

Yes, you will need to install the .REG file if your running RM6 on Windows 10. There are a few screens that won't display without it.

1. Download the .REG file from http://files.rootsma...Browser-Fix.reg

2. Run the .REG file to add the necessary entries to your Windows registry. It will display several scary warnings. Just keep telling it that “yes”, you do want to make the change.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:42 PM

I have RM3 running on my Windows 10 computer. I don't use it a lot but it should be working fine.  Just make sure your database files are not in the Program Files (x86) folder like it wants to by default. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5459 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:50 PM

And I have Family Origins 9 functioning on Win 10. You can't install it from the CD but I copied the program folder from XP to Win 7 which worked and then upgraded to 10.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 OldBob2

OldBob2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:55 AM

Thank you Renee for the link but it does not go anywhere..I will try to search for it.

..will the reg file help/or is it needed in RM3?

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:10 AM

What that should have done is download a file to your computer. Look in your download folder.  If not open a support ticket so we can send it to you.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 OldBob2

OldBob2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:42 AM

Renee....the download folder said it did not find file but I finally found it on the site and did install it..thanks for your help