• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JJK

JJK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 07:12 PM

Using Rootsmagic 7.2.1.0 (23 May 2016) for Mac (latest version available).

Edit person -> Media -> Add new media -> Image -> Disk opens the Finder file selection pop-up. I select a PNG file (697 KB in size) and click Open. I'm returned to the Media Album, but the image is not shown. I am speculating that the presence of certain characters (e.g., parenthesis, commas) or the long filename (145 characters including .png suffix) are causing an error.

This looks like two bugs: 

1. Inability to accept a filename which is valid within MacOS (in this case OS X 10.11.5).

2. Inability to report an error to the user (which should clearly describe the issue and what the user should do about it).

Thank you.

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1293 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:04 PM

You seem to be experiencing a problem with a path and file name generated in the Mac OS but not recognized in Windows. Did I get that right? If so, you need to learn what the two operating system requirements and restrictions are, and adjust your file naming scheme accordingly.

I don't use a Mac so I'm going to answer from the viewpoint of Windows. I use RM7 in Win7.

There is a limit on the total path length, from the drive letter to the file suffix, including all characters. There are a few invalid characters in filenames (primarily the asterisk * the question mark ? and slashes \ /). Spaces are an allowable character, but I choose to use _ and - to separate words in my filenames.The maximum total path length is 255 characters. 

Here's an example of one of my image names --- 

E:\0_genes\media\marriages\1679_NY_henry-fowler_&_abigail-hoyt(pg279-#40)_gpc_newenglandmarriages-0295.jpg

You may notice that my file path length DOES NOT include ---

C:\users\myname\documents\

This is because I don't store my data files in Windows default file location. They are on a separate hard drive and use a shorter path length.