Photo

Way to view all people that a source is attached to?

source list mac

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dixieau

dixieau

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:02 PM

Is there a way to view all the people that a particular source is attached to?

I am trying to clean all mine up and I go into the "Master Source List" but there is no option to view who they are attached to.

I'm coming from FTM which has a great one so tips and ideas on how to do this would be appreciated.

Here is a screenshot of what I am talking about 

https://www.evernote...qCGDx6bZDo1mf60

Thanks!!

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3129 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:27 AM

The closest RM comes to being able to produce the FTM report you are talking about is to go into Lists->Source List..., select a Master Source from the list, and click Print. There are a lot of options that can make the report longer or shorter.  All the data is there, but I do not find the report to be very easy to use. Most users will save the report to something like a TXT file or an RTF file and then have the report and RM open in separate windows, moving back and forth between the two windows. That's about the only way that the report is very usable.

RM has many very good reports and also some not so good reports. In my opinion, the Lists->Source List... and Print report is among the weakest of RM's reports and is among those in the most need of improvement. However, part of the problem is not really the report itself, but rather the overall way that RM does source management. Even if RM were improved to produce a source report to match your FTM report, the report still wouldn't really be as good because RM's source management simply isn't as good. I like RM much better than FTM in general, but RM's source management is not as good as FTM's. We shall just have to see how many improvements, if any, are made in this area of RM during the complete rewrite of RM that is underway.

Jerry

#3 dixieau

dixieau

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:44 AM

Thanks Jerry for your thoughts and input.  In my opinion that is a truly messy way to check who a source is attached to.  Whilst I like RM I have used many programs, Legacy, FTMM, Gramps, Reunion and I even tried MacFamilyTree, sadly I am finding RM lacking in its intuitiveness.  I will hold out for the re-write you mention and pray it brings it up to a comparative standard.

I just ran the report and holy crap it's 730 pages long!  This is going to be one long process, short of exporting back to FTM doing it there and bringing it back into RM!

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3129 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:49 AM

I should also mention that there is another and totally unrelated way in RM to find where sources are used that does not involve a report at all. Namely, you can search for them. There are two ways to conduct such a search.

The first way is to click on the looking glass icon on the tool bar and then click on Find. You will be in RM's Search for Information dialog. For searching people, you can search on something like Sources (general)->Name contains->"name of your source". You can also search on many other aspects of your source such as Footnote contains. For searching events, you can search on something like Any fact->Source->Name contains->"name of your source", etc. You can also combine these two searches together into a single search with a Boolean AND or OR operator. The OR operator would probably be most valuable in this case. The search will take you to each person meeting the criteria, one person at a time. Having reached that person, you will still have to hunt around to find where the matching source is found.

The second way is FInd Everywhere which may be found by Search->Find Everywhere... from the menu bar. In general, the Find Everwhere report is a much nicer report than is the Lists->Source list... report. For one thing, it is a so-called live report. So you don't have to print the report to a file. You can click on items directly in the report to see them and edit them. But it doesn't really find everywhere. Rather, it finds in lots of places but not really everywhere. That doesn't matter for your purposes because it does find in sources. But when it finds in sources, it doesn't really give you enough information to tell you where all the sources are. Other parts of Find Everywhere are very strong and useful in the way they work, but the sources part of Find Everywhere is actually not quite as useful as you might wish.

Well,there is sort of a third way, but it's really a variation on the theme of the first way. You can do the same kind of searching to make a group. Having done so, you can place the group in the sidebar on the left side of the RM screen or you can go into People View and select the group you have just made. Either way, you can see all the people who contain the source in question. But if you edit such a person, you will still have to search around in the person to find where the source is used.

Jerry

#5 deckie49

deckie49

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:57 AM

I may be mistaken, but it seems to me Legacy did this nicely. Perhaps someone with Legacy on their computer can verify this. It might be worthwhile to download the freeware version, export your gedcom and try it.

#6 dixieau

dixieau

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:18 PM

If I was to proceed with exporting to another program to work on the Sources, would I lose any work that I have already done in RM when I brought it back into RM?  Does that even make sense?

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3129 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:35 PM

If I was to proceed with exporting to another program to work on the Sources, would I lose any work that I have already done in RM when I brought it back into RM?  Does that even make sense?

It makes no sense. If you are going to use RM as your genealogy program of choice, you need to work on your sources in RM. There is just too much that is lost in moving data between programs and it doesn't matter which two (or more) programs you are moving data between.

Jerry

#8 deckie49

deckie49

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:10 PM

You misunderstand my comment. I'm not suggesting abandoning RM, or moving your master file back and forth. Your master file stays in RM un touched.. Just import a gedcom to Legacy (or some other program/utility) for the purposes of using a feature you need.  Print the results. Then manually make the actual changes in your master file using RM.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7993 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:12 PM

If your creating a GEDCOM to import into another program make sure you uncheck the option "Extra details (RM specific)".

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 wilphil

wilphil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:45 PM

I'm a new convert from FTM and was struggling with the same problem as I tried to clean up my list of sources.  I discovered a report that does just what I think the original poster wanted.  A report of each source and where it is used can be created by using:

Reports/List/Research Reports/Source List

Bill