13 replies to this topic

#1 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:54 AM

Hi, I tried searching to see if anyone already said this, but couldn't come up with anything.

I would like to request that it be a little more obvious that a person has multiple spouses or multiple parents. FO had it right next to the person on the family view display. I find it hard to remember to look on the top left corner to see if a person has more than one spouse. Maybe the box could turn bright red if there is more than one?

Thanks!
Linda

#2 miguelk

miguelk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:24 AM

I second the motion.

Also, the spouse displayed by default should be the "Preferred" spouse, not necessarily the first one.

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 12:17 PM

The spouse displayed by default is the last one you looked at on the main screen, or in the ancestor or descendant line of the last person viewed. The first, center or last chronologically has nothing to do with it.

If I go from myself to my grandfather, his spouse is his first wife, my grandmother.

If I go from one of my half cousins to my grandfather, his spouse is his second wife, their grandmother.

Family Origins had no indication on the Tree View screen that a person had multiple spouses. You could click the down arrow and see the familie(s) of that person, as you can by right clicking and selecting "View family..." or clicking on "Spouses:" in RootsMagic.

Alfred

#4 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 05:53 PM

Another thing I thought of after I posted -- sometimes I am sitting on the wife in Family View, and it is the husband who has multiple spouses. It's easy to forget where my cursor is sitting (on the wife), and I sit there wondering where those missing children are that I know this man had. After a little bit, I realize they are under the family with the other spouse! Silly, I know, but I've done it so many times it's not so funny after a while!

FO made it very obvious when a person had multiple spouses (in Family View). Maybe there could be a little box with a number next to the person's name that shows the number of spouses they had?

Thanks!
Linda

#5 jjmick

jjmick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:35 AM

This would be a very beneficial addition. In my family there are numerous instances of multiple spouses. The first one is my step-mother. Technically, she is not related to me but my half-brother is.

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:32 AM

A multiple spouse indicator of some kind wouldn't hurt.

I don't know how you would do it in the descendants view, but a small down arrow or something to the right of the name in the family and pedigree views might be nice.

In the descendants view, maybe a number for the spouse, just after the plus sign,
+1 Mary Jane Smith
. children
+2 Joyce Jones
. children

To get it right, it needs more thought. dry.gif
Alfred

#7 Guest_Nancy Gobble_*

Guest_Nancy Gobble_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2005 - 12:21 PM

I have at two people that married, divorced and married again, that spouse died and then they remarried their first spouse on a totally different date but when you try to enter it that was it says they are already married and won't except the 3 rd marriage. It would be nice to have that capability. What I did to get around this for now was just enter their nick name instead of there full name and it took it. But now the same person is in my data base twice with two different names. It is just a bug I was wondering if on the next addition could be worked out. Thanks Nancy

#8 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 01:29 PM

You can add another marriage, but you cannot link them as another family because, they are already linked as a family.

Just add another marriage fact for them, dated after the death or divorce that ended of the other family unit.
Alfred

#9 Guest_Robin_*

Guest_Robin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:29 PM

cool.gif I just loaded my Root Magic, yesterday. I have used FO for the last 5 years. I would like to add that I VERY much liked the way FO indicated (in Family View...which I use most often) "Other Spouse". It was very easy to switch between spouse. It seems like l a lot more steps to get to the other spouse with RM. smile.gif

#10 Guest_Ron A_*

Guest_Ron A_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2005 - 07:59 PM

I too have used FO for many years, and while I agree with the comments here, and did like the multiple spouse indicator, I don't think it's the end of the world. Roots Magic is a different program. All you have to do is look in the little window to the left of the highlighted person's main information window, and RM tells you if there were multiple spouses. You can then either view them, or switch between them by clicking on the down arrow. Just a new routine to get used to.
Ron A

#11 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 08:27 PM

Don't forget the right click.

You can right click on any person in any of the main views and then click 'view family' and see the parents, siblings spouses and children. And you can select any one of them, except the mother, and go to them. (The Parents are listed together and clicking on either one of them, anyplace on their line, takes you to the father.)
Alfred

#12 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 02:07 PM

All you have to do is look in the little window to the left of the highlighted person's main information window, and RM tells you if there were multiple spouses. You can then either view them, or switch between them by clicking on the down arrow. Just a new routine to get used to.

It is very easy to not notice which person your cursor is sitting on.

FO showed the multiple spouse situation no matter where your cursor was sitting, and it was large and noticeable, not a tiny note in the corner. I would REALLY like it if that was back. No, it's not the end of the world, but it is an annoyance at times.

Linda

#13 toallen

toallen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:25 PM

I'm not saying that this wouldn't be a nice improvement, but I don't think it is very hard to tell which person is highlighted, (mine shows up witha blue highlight) especially if there are photos attached.

#14 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:33 PM

I know it sounds goofy that I can't seem to remember what person my cursor is sitting on, but as background, I have 35,000 people in my database. Too many to have pictures of everyone, and waaaay too many to remember who everyone is in my head! biggrin.gif