Photo

Progress report for "native" Mac version?

Mac Ancestry

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dixieau

dixieau

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:28 AM

Hi RM

Just wondering if there is a progress report for the Native version of RootsMagic please?  

Also, is there any progress with regards to Ancestry hints being available? 

The above two points were what made me choose RM hoping they happen soon.

Thanks

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 6650 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:10 AM

Both are progressing nicely, but we cannot give a time frame for release. We can confirm the Ancestry sync will be before the end of the year to RootsMagic 7.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 dixieau

dixieau

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:24 PM

Fantastic news, thanks Renee!

Both are progressing nicely, but we cannot give a time frame for release. We can confirm the Ancestry sync will be before the end of the year to RootsMagic 7.

#4 the_green_man

the_green_man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:46 AM

I am also waiting for the native mac version and ancestry sync. I suspect there are many others!

#5 lorluk

lorluk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:26 PM

i also am waiting for native mac version. hopefully soon as I do not want to purchase roots magic 7 that can be used on a Mac.

#6 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 03:31 PM

i also am waiting for native mac version. hopefully soon as I do not want to purchase roots magic 7 that can be used on a Mac.

Sorry, but I am missing the point of this comment. You can start today using RM7 for Mac and then migrate to whatever version comes in the future. Yes, you will have to pay for RM7 and then presumably the upgrade price of the new version, but at least you can get going. What am I missing? What is your objection to RM7 for Mac?

#7 jranieri

jranieri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:23 AM

Is there any news on the update? It's starting to feel like a way to lure Mac users in with no follow through!

#8 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:41 AM

Reply to JP not getting the point of a mac native version.

a true mac app would be fully functional, use the normal mac menus and behave properly in all respects. The crossover windows xp version is pretty good but definitely not mac normal. 

The problems with Sierra would probably disappear.

It would also not trigger false positive virus scans (avg). 

#9 leepetmar@yahoo.ca

leepetmar@yahoo.ca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:42 AM

I have been waiting for about 4 years -- ever since I bought my iMac. I am running Parallels in order to keep Win XP operating on the Mac. So far, so good -- although I had a scare when the upgrade to Parallels 12 along with Sierra shut my XP access down. Some guru at Parallels fixed it remotely -- WHEW!

I/we really need RM to put some more priority on this issue. I only have one more application (other than RM) to migrate to a true Mac, and then I can trash Win XP forever.

PLEASE?!?

#10 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:42 PM

Rootsmagic 7 for mac which runs in a windows xp crossover "bottle" is pretty good and avoids the very undesirable need for a copy of windows and virtualization software. 

That said, we mac users are all still waiting for the long delayed native version of rootsmagic and a fully functional ipad app such as reunion has.

out of curiosity what is your other remaining windows application? There may be a perfectly good alternative available on the mac now.

#11 leepetmar@yahoo.ca

leepetmar@yahoo.ca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

Responding to the question by "Rooty": "what is your other remaining windows application? There may be a perfectly good alternative available on the mac now."

My only other 'must run on XP' program is called "Money Matters for Windows". I have been running it and its predecessors for over 20 years. I am reluctant to leave it for its historical value, and because -- well -- I'm just so comfortable with it. It is an 'envelope budgeting' program that originally came our of an organization called Christian Financial Concepts. As near as I can tell, the closest thing to it from a concept point of view is a Mac app called "Moneywell".

So I gather that if i killed Money Matters and replaced it with a native Mac app, and purchased the RM 7 for the Mac, that I could kill Parallels? What do you think?

That would be great info to tuck in my back pocket. Every time my XP hiccups on my iMac, I hold my breath until I get it running again. I migrated my other stuff off the XP programs, and these two are all I have left.

#12 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

Moneywell is fairly expensive $60 on the mac app store and may be similar to banktivity. The developer has a free limited trial on his site. You may be able to export your historical data for import to a new program.

I remember my mother and her cash envelopes for each regular expense to have the money on hand when needed. Simple and worked well in the days of cash and no credit.

You might consider the free Mint.com to monitor all your bank and credit card activity. It pulls all transactions in automatically, lets you correct expense categories and you can easily find how much you spend on gas, groceries, at amazon etc.

I ran parallels and vm fusion on a macbook pro years ago but it was a terrible strain on the mac. The virtual software was also very delicate and easily broken. If you can give up your xp program and try a substiture your imac will probably be functional for years longer (big savings).

Rootsmagic 7 runs on the mac in a software wrapper containing XP that avoids using parallels and works quite well. No copy of windows is needed.

#13 Johnj_au

Johnj_au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:01 PM

I've been using the Crossover bottle version of RM7 on my MacBook for some time now, and have had no issues - quite the reverse - RM7 continues to deliver an excellent result with no real loss of functionality.

I too was looking forward to ditching Parallels and Windows 10.  However recently John Cardinal has released a Windows-only program called GedSite, and this (working together with my RM7 database) is proving to be such a pivotal part of my family history activities that I now expect to continue to need Parallels and Windows 10 for the foreseeable future.  Take a look at some discussion in the General Message forum on this site.

Cheers John.

#14 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:38 PM

current status of 2 pending issues?

1.Ancestry tree sync. If things are on hold pending action by Ancestry.com can these folks be shifted back to the mac version?

2. Native mac version

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 6650 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:10 PM

Development is current working on the Ancestry Sync.

Once Ancestry sync is complete they will resume working on the native Mac version of RootsMagic. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#16 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:12 PM

Sorry, but I am missing the point of this comment. You can start today using RM7 for Mac and then migrate to whatever version comes in the future. Yes, you will have to pay for RM7 and then presumably the upgrade price of the new version, but at least you can get going. What am I missing? What is your objection to RM7 for Mac?

Sorry but while the wine-bottled Roots Magic works it only works to some extent.  I tried to generate a webpage using the current mac-bridge and it chokes when you do bigger things.

We need the full native Mac Rootsmagic.

Allen

#17 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:13 PM

Development is current working on the Ancestry Sync.

Once Ancestry sync is complete they will resume working on the native Mac version of RootsMagic. 

It looks like Ancestry Sync is coming along great... hope it will work in the current Mac solution and the native mac version won't be far off.

Thanks Renee

Allen