2 replies to this topic

#1 draydev1

draydev1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:17 PM

I was just wondering if anyone else uses the General Note for a person as a type of research log or mini biography area?  RM is a fantastic program and the Research Log/To-Do/Research Notes Report are a great idea but, for the way my brain functions, it's a lot of steps to click through a lot of different areas to compare things.  

I've been watching a bunch of different YouTube videos and came across a few that Crista Cowan has done for Ancestry.com.  She shows how she utilizes the Person Note, in FTM, as a type of To-Do/Research Log.  She transcribes documents that she comes across for the person.  Every thing is dated in chronological order and easy to compare.  She does this before she actually enters the document as a source in the database so that she can compare it to other documents to make sure it is really for the correct person.

I understand how the Research Notes Report functions and I can basically do the same thing there but if it ends up not being for the correct person then it's some extra steps to delete the source, delete it from the person, etc....or leave it and note that it isn't the correct person, etc..  Also, in order to compare the information, you have to enter it, print the report to compare, then go in and delete what isn't right.  I know that fact notes can be used also but again you have to look at each one individually and it's a lot of clicking back and forth.

By putting it in the person note, as a sort of timeline, appeals to my need for seeing the visual all at once.  Plus I am able to save it as a .rtf file in word to create the written history and it's almost written for me, in a sense.  (Ok, there's a lot of cleaning up but at least I'm not starting from scratch)

Someone please tell me I haven't lost my mind and it's ok to use the program the way I need to use it.  Also, any other ideas are most welcome!!

Thanks,

Kim

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3259 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:50 PM

I do as you've described. Less bandwidth than all the clickiness of research logs and programmed source templates, et al.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 allan1932

allan1932

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:26 PM

I also use the Notes for a person as you do.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: General Note, Research Log