15 replies to this topic

#1 Mackay

Mackay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:55 AM

I have an old RM version (#4) and want to upgrade to version #7 while, at the same time, switching to a new Macbook Pro and trying to use RM's new application for Macs. For several years I have been using Parallels and Windows 7.

I now have my new Macbook Pro, but, as expected, none of the RM files transferred to my new computer.

In what order do I do things, and how??

Again, I want to:

--Start using RM for Mac instead of the work-around using Parallels and Windows 7 (neither of which transferred to my new Mac anyway, so I do not have any RM files on my new computer)

--Transfer my large RM database to my new Mac.

--Start using the RM version for Mac.

--Upgrade to version #7.

This is beyond my capability, without explicit guidance from some of you. I apologize if this is a repeat. I thought I posted the question earlier, on my old Mac, and got one response, but nothing shows on this new Mac.

Step-by-step guidance needed and much appreciated!!!

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:41 PM

You will want to upgrade to RootsMagic 7 and download the Mac version. Then copy your RM4 database to your Mac. Simply open it inside RM7 and it will be converted to the new file format. You can also restore the RM4 backup inside of RM7 too.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Mackay

Mackay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:04 PM

Renee, I have bought and downloaded RM 7 for Mac on my new Mac. How do I copy my RM4 database to the new Mac? My RM4 database is accessible on my old computer only by using Parallels and Windows 7. I do not have or need those programs on the new Mac.

#4 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:06 AM

Renee, I have bought and downloaded RM 7 for Mac on my new Mac. How do I copy my RM4 database to the new Mac? My RM4 database is accessible on my old computer only by using Parallels and Windows 7. I do not have or need those programs on the new Mac.

No, you do not need Paralles and Windows on your Mac. However, you need to find a way to transfer the files to the Mac. You could use a USB drive or perhaps even mail the files to yourself (provided there aren't too many of them or you ZIP them into one - or fewer - files). Of course, there are other ways as well, but those are probably the easier ones.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:14 AM

Cloud storage would work saving to one computer and downloading it on the other.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Mackay

Mackay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:40 AM

Thanks. Too many files to e-mail...May try USB...How would I use Cloud storage? (Files are in proprietary genealogy application....) Sorry, I'm not very computer literate...

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:45 AM

Save a backup with media and then add it to your Dropbox, Google Drive or other cloud storage folder on one computer and after it syncs with the cloud it will be on both computers. File>Restore the backup with media and it will have all your images. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Mackay

Mackay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:45 AM

Sorry, but I'm still having trouble. I've tried to use a flash drive, but when the computer recognizes it and asks whether it wants to be attached to the Mac or the virtual machine (Windows 7 on my older Mac, using Parallels), I don't know which answer to give. Technically, the RM4 database is only on the virtual machine, but if I choose the virtual machine, will the new Mac recognize the data stored on the virtual machine?

I've tried to use the Magic guide, opening it on one computer and trying to follow the instructions on the older Mac. But if I try to browse for places to store the back-up, the machine freezes. It only offers me a back-up on the old computer's hard drive. (This has been with the flash drive attached to the Mac....)

I'd like to use Cloud, but I've forgotten my password, or, at least,.the computer will not recognize the password I had written down.

Any other suggestions? Again, I'm not very computer-literate, although I own two MacBooks, a MacAir, an IPad and an IPhone, using only the most basic functions of each.

Help, please...

#9 Mackay

Mackay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:12 AM

Renee, me again on a different discussion. I have already purchased RM7 for Mac and installed it on my new Mac. My RM4 database is on the old Mac, accessible only with Parallels and Windows 7. Would you suggest I upgrade my RM4 on the OLD Mac before trying to transfer it to the new Mac? I understand that, once purchased, RM7 will work on both PC and Mac. 

As noted on the RM for Mac forum, I'm having trouble backing up my RM4 database onto the flash drive.

Give me more details about your previous answer about using File-Open on the RM4 database to "convert to new file format." What will I see on the computer??

Thanks again....

Old dog...

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:48 AM

I know all flash drives cannot work between a Windows and Mac computer. Can you use Google Drive or Dropbox box? The free accounts should be large enough.

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:59 AM

Renee, me again on a different discussion. I have already purchased RM7 for Mac and installed it on my new Mac. My RM4 database is on the old Mac, accessible only with Parallels and Windows 7. Would you suggest I upgrade my RM4 on the OLD Mac before trying to transfer it to the new Mac? I understand that, once purchased, RM7 will work on both PC and Mac. 

As noted on the RM for Mac forum, I'm having trouble backing up my RM4 database onto the flash drive.

Give me more details about your previous answer about using File-Open on the RM4 database to "convert to new file format." What will I see on the computer??

Thanks again....

Old dog...

Let's try to keep this discussion together since it all relates to moving to a new computer.

It really doesn't matter if you upgrade to RM7 before or after the move. So I would say do it after the move if you don't need to create a backup with media. If are needing to move your media at the same time then RM7 would allow a backup with media.

If your moving to a new computer it might be best to talk to your computer store about moving all your old files over. 

The RM4 file can simply be opened in the RM7. It's File>Open. Same process if you had a RM4 database and wanted to open it inside RM4. The only difference you will see opening it in RM7 is a notice that opening the file will convert it to a new file format. In this case that is exactly what you want to do. 

Using File>Restore on the RM4 backup is another option. Works the same in RM4 or RM7. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:36 PM

Sorry, but I'm still having trouble. I've tried to use a flash drive, but when the computer recognizes it and asks whether it wants to be attached to the Mac or the virtual machine (Windows 7 on my older Mac, using Parallels), I don't know which answer to give. Technically, the RM4 database is only on the virtual machine, but if I choose the virtual machine, will the new Mac recognize the data stored on the virtual machine

IF you want to access the files from RM for Mac, then "attach it to the Mac".

IF you want to access them from RM under Parallels, then you could use either answer. Personally, I would attach it to the Mac side and copy the files into the Mac filing system and then point Parallels at them - it will then treat them as being on the Z disk. You can then use all the Mac backup functions, such as Time Machine, to automatically backup your RM files.

If you were to attach it to The Parallels virtual machine, you would still need to copy the files to either the C disk (or some other Windows disk attached to the virtual machine), or copy them to the Z disk (which ends up with the same result as if you had attached the USB drive to the Mac side). The problem with putting the RM files on the C drive is that to back them up using standard Mac functions, you need to copy the whole of the C disk, which tends to involve a lot of data. This would result in a huge waste of backup disk space if you were to attempt backing it up via Time Machine.

#13 Mackay

Mackay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:36 PM

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and help. I finally hired an IT expert. It took him an hour and a half of patient, dogged work to finally transfer my RM4 database into the new, empty RM7 on my new Mac. Apparently Parallels and Windows 7 were putting a lot of drag on my older Mac, and Windows 7 or RM4 would crash time after time. He finally was able to drag my database onto his own Google Drive, then opened his Drive on my new computer and opened the database file.

Only one snag: My photos show up as thumbnails in RM7, and I can't fully open them. On RM7, there is an option to back up with media, but on RM4, we saw no option to do that. It's not the end of the world. I've already used them in a book I published with RM4.

I guess I can move each photo into RM7 as new photos, from my Mac photos folder.  Any other suggestions??

I'm very excited to work with RM7 on Mac!!!

Thanks again!

#14 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:01 PM

If the images are still on your Mac computer then go to Lists>Media Gallery>Tools>Fix broken media links and it should relink them.

Renee
RootsMagic

#15 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:55 AM

If the images are still on your Mac computer then go to Lists>Media Gallery>Tools>Fix broken media links and it should relink them.

The key question is where the photos are on the Mac. If they are in "regular" folders, then all should be well. However, if they have been imported into the Mac Photos application and are only resident in the database that it uses, then they woul have to be exported into regular folders before RM could find them.

#16 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:58 AM

Mackay - a belated response and you may be all settled—I just joined the forum as an old mac and new roots 7 user.

1. Format a flash drive in MS DOS which can be read by both macs and pcs using Disk Utility in the mac applications utility folder. Do a Spotlight search to find this app and your files. If unclear about this, do a google search (how to use mac spotlight; how to use disk utility; etc.)

2. Find your files: *.rmgc (database); *.rmgb (backups); media files (in your pictures folder?). Parallels can be set up to share your mac’s document and pictures folders or to keep files in a separate windows area. This choice can be changed. If you kept your photos in iphoto rather than in folders in the Pictures folder you would need to export them. On macs it works well to store photos in folders outside of the Photos app. You can pull one in for edits and then export it out again. Other programs like Preview (viewing and slideshows) can access photos stored outside the Photos app.

3. Attach the flash drive to the old mac, choose either the mac or windows option and look for your files. One choice should work. Then stick that flash drive in your new mac pro or air and get them on the mac (documents; pictures).

4. Order Bruce’s excellent $10 RM7 book to get up to speed on new features. I think you also need a simple book on using the mac. Switching to the mac by david pogue is a monster book but you only need the first 150 pages. He writes very clearly with humor and the rest of the book would be a reference as needs / interest dictate.

5. The mac RM7 is the pc version running in a windows xp “bottle” that is stable unlike parallels (a flaky resource hog) and deals well with your mac. There is also a free iphone rootsmagic read-only app that displays your database nicely. Your old mac was probably severely crippled by running Parallels and may be fine if you kill that program.

6. Since you are uncertain where your files are, you are NOT really backed up. When your old mac’s drive dies (soon) so will your files. Get them on flash drives, a time machine drive and/or a cloud service like dropbox. You need document and pictures backups in at least 2 physical locations and/or the cloud to avoid loss from theft, floods, power surges and human error. Three flash drives rotated every 10 days with the latest one kept in your car would be fine. Flash drives too can suddenly fail and you need more than one. Time machine is great but a power surge that fried your computer would kill the attached drive too. A thief would also steal both.