• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LMByam

LMByam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:05 PM

Hello - new to RM and entering my citations. I have many citations to various journals (TAG, NEHGR, etc) accessed online, and am trying to determine an appropriate source type. I would like to have something named "NEHGR online" (and same for TAG, etc.) so that when I create a new citation, the journal name, pub, website etc is standard, but the article title, volume, page ref etc is a detail. 

Am I really asking to create a custom source?

Also, I'd like to avoid having hundreds of individual articles cluttering up the Master Source List - is there a way to "folder" sources into a collection - so that all sources referencing TAG articles are a subset of the source "TAG online" or something like that ?

I'm probably missing many obvious things, watched a few webinars and checked the RM book, but without success.  Would greatly appreciate any recommendations on what you savvy folks have done.  Many thanks !

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2930 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:50 PM

Also, I'd like to avoid having hundreds of individual articles cluttering up the Master Source List - is there a way to "folder" sources into a collection - so that all sources referencing TAG articles are a subset of the source "TAG online" or something like that ?

There is no way to "folder" sources into a collection. Generally speaking, all lists in RM are one big list without any subsetting or foldering capability.

On your more fundamental question about source templates I will defer to others for suggestions because for most users I'm not a very good model to follow.. I don't use any of RM's built-in source templates. Instead, all my source templates are custom. I don't think that's the way most users want to go.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7701 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:22 AM

On the Source List I use the Master Source Title in order to keep sources in categories.

Book: Early Connecticut Marriages

Book: Hidley Family Book

Cem: Evergreen Cemetery, Salem, NY

Cem: Maplewood, Saratoga Springs, NY

Census: 1870 Federal Census

Census: 1875 New York Census

Ind: (these all all the ones that come over from FamilySearch as separate master sources starting with a person's name)

Newspaper: The Post Star (online)

Research: (these are the individual researchers I have corresponded with)

Web: Find A Grave

Web: MyHeritage - Family Trees

Web: MyHeritage - U.S. Public Records Index

Here is a webinar link on creating your own source templates.

48. Sentence and Source Templates in RootsMagic
http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2930 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:11 AM

On the Source List I use the Master Source Title in order to keep sources in categories.

I do exactly the same thing, and that's the best you can do with the current design of RM. A very rigorous naming convention for your sources will have the effect of putting all your sources of the same "type" together in the list (where "type" = book or census or death certificate, etc.), but there is still one single large list.

For the most part with RM's lists, you can go to the list and just "start typing" and it will move you to that section of the list. For example, if you have named your sources as described and start typing c and then e and then n etc it will very quickly take you t the census part of the list. Two lists do have a search facility that serves as sort of a filter - the Research Manager and the Media gallery. Such filtering is very useful, but the underlying list is still one big list.

Jerry