• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bloss

Bloss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:35 AM

I want to  include the media items which are linked to records in my Rootsmagic database on a CD or thumbdrives

Is this possible? Can media files be imbedded in the database information or are the links only to the folders on a computer.

I understand that Legacy has a “sister” programme called “Passage Express” which purports to  be capable of including both genealogical record and media on a CD burn. 

Does Rootsmagic have this capability?

Thank you for any help or advice

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:56 AM

Does Rootsmagic have this capability?

Tools->Create a Shareable CD

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3595 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:07 AM

Tools->Create a Shareable CD

Or copy your media files to the CD or thumb drive yourself. By doing so, you can maintain your folder structure, which a shareable CD does not do. Then when you run RM from the CD, change the high level part of the folder name to reflect your CD or thumb drive rather than your C: drive.: Search->Search and Replace->Multimedia filenames.

RM never embeds the media files in your database. Media files are just regular free standing files, and RM links to them. Because it links to them, it can link to them wherever they may be, including on a CD or thumb drive.

Jerry

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8475 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:42 AM

When creating a backup select the option to "backup media files".  It will contain a copy of your database and all the media files linked to your database. Doesn't matter where they are stored on your computer. On restore you have the option to restore the media files too.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Bloss

Bloss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:16 PM

Thank you Renee, Jerry and K Benson for your responses. I greatly appreciate your help!!

Regards

Bloss