4 replies to this topic

#1 Mackay

Mackay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:36 PM

I'm using RootsMagic 4 on an old Macbook Pro, with Parallels and Windows 7. I have been having trouble getting into my RM database. What I want to do is buy a new Macbook (the current one has had several $1000-repairs),  update my RM version 4 to something much newer and begin using RM for Mac, instead of the work-around with Windows 7 and Parallels.

My questions are:

1) What are the right steps to take? What do I do first, second, third, etc?

2) The last time I tried changing from a Dell computer with my RM4 to the Mac, it took me about six months, and I was able to do it only with help from this group. So I appreciate all the help I got then, and hope someone can walk me through the steps I need now. Can someone walk me through this? I'm no techie. I have 30 years worth of genealogical research in my RM database.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:14 AM

I'm no Mac user but I would suggest you have the Apple Geniuses at your store transfer your data (and whatever programs that can be) to your new computer. Then download and install RootsMagic 7 to the new one. Set up the default folders through RM's Tools > Program Options (you may have to create folders through the Mac OS). If your RM data files and media are not in the desired folders, move them there. Then proceed to open your database with RM.

Because there is a structural change in the database between RM4 and RM7, it will automatically change your database file to the new structure.

Your media may no longer be linked (red X's on the thumbnails) so use the tool "Fix broken media links" and point it to the folder where you placed the media files so it does not have to search your entire drive.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Mackay

Mackay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:34 PM

Tom, thank you. The Apple folks are transferring what files they can from my old Mac to my new one. When I get the new one, I will follow your advice. Would also be interested if knowing if there are Mac users out there who have done this. Thanks again!

#4 Beth-Meeks Family

Beth-Meeks Family

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:38 AM

I have always used Roots Magic on a Mac. I started on a Macbook Pro and three years ago upgaded to a Mac Air. I recently upgrade the operating system to Yosemite. The RootsMagic program and all my files transfer thru all that with no problems.

At first I used Roots Magic thru Parallels and more recently I switched to the Mac Bridge version of Roots Magic so I do not go thru Parallels. So far, I have not seen any difference in the Programs, except that when saving a backup the mac bridge version does not automatically save each back up with a new file name. I have to manually alter it, but I can live with that.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:30 AM

Under Tools>Program Options>General there is a setting "Add date to backup file" which will help in telling your backups apart. If I have more than one backup in a day I will put a letter after the date.

Renee
RootsMagic