• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 carolene

carolene

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:55 PM

I've done quite a bit of work on my tree in the past two days, and I just noticed a little "update available" arrow in the lower right of my screen.  When I click on it, it says "You are running in To-Go mode.  Update your desktop copy of RootsMagic and then run RootsMagic-To-Go to update this copy."  I don't know how I got to To-Go mode, or how to get back to the desktop copy, but mostly, how to know what I've added in the last two days that would need to be re-entered in the desktop copy.  I'm running from my desktop, and the source on the very top line of the screen shows that I'm running from C:\Users\Carol\Documents\xxxtreenamexxx.  Can anyone tell me know to proceed and not lose the work of the last two days?  Actually, yesterday, I backed up when I closed, but it could be that I backed up in "to-go" mode then, too.?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:33 PM

You will get that notice on the desktop version if you have renamed the Program Files (x86) folder for RootsMagic 7 or you moved the program files after the install. The best thing to do is try to uninstall or at least delete the folder and install RM7 again. Just don't change anything after the install. Make sure your database file is outside of the program files when you are deleting it. It actually should never be there. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 carolene

carolene

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:15 PM

Thank you, Renee.  That explains it.

#4 maggi14au

maggi14au

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:47 AM

I have never changed the files since they were first installed and haven't used it for quite a while. 

I also just deleted the To-Go records by right clicking on the arrow next to the name in the start button and then deleted from the recycle bin. When I opened the RootsMagic 7 file and clicked on the little arrow on bottom RHS of screen and tried to update it still gives me the same message.

I am going to back up and delete the whole package and then restart computer to see if that fixes the stupid thing.

Maggi

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: to go