19 replies to this topic

#1 judino

judino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:55 PM

I click on the yellow bulb. It shows a provider and then some numbers, some with underlines. I click on provider name, I click on numbers. I get nothing. Does this mean I need to subscribe to MyHeritage and FindMyPast before it works? It's frustrating to sit there and click and nothing happens; not even a note from RM. With Family Search, everything is fine.

Sincerely,

Mike Peterson

Michael A. Peterson
Las Vegas, Nevada

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:12 PM

You will never see anything come up in RM when you click on WebHints. The results always come up in a browser window instead. RM contacts the site, gets an acknowledgement back from the site that a WebHint exists, RM shows you the pop-up windows showing you the WebHint's availability, you click on the availability message (the "numbers to click" as you call them), RM launches a browser to the site for you, and the browser shows you the WebHint.

I wonder if their could be a browser related issue. It's hard to see how that could be. What browser opens up when you click on a WebHint for FSFT when it works?

Jerry

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:14 PM

P.S. the "availability message" as I'm calling it wouldn't appear if Webhints weren't enabled for the site in RM, nor if the site were down. So the most obvious problems clearly don't exist.

#4 judino

judino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:36 PM

Thanks Jerry.

In the availability message for Family Search, I click on a number and it provides a link. However, the link doesn't work. At least it tells me where to look. In MyHeritage and FindMyPast nothing happens when I click on the number. I too am thinking a browser problem because when I click on Technical Support under Help, I get nothing. Same with learning center. My desktop is set to Chrome as default browser. Mike

Michael A. Peterson
Las Vegas, Nevada

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:16 AM

What OS? If you recently upgraded to Win 10, maybe you are getting a dialog window giving you a choice of browsers because Microsoft introduced and is pushing Edge. Possibly it is not popping out in front.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 judino

judino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:04 AM

To add to my frustration, I cannot get into my RM websites now. I've been on Windows 10 and Chrome for almost a year. Haven't had this problem until recently and I cannot tie it to the last RM update. So I started going through several tests and different switches. It comes down to RM no longer is interfacing with Chrome. Once I reset my default browser to IE, everything works. Now my problem is that I use Chrome so much. I don't like it better than IE; I like it a whole bunch better than IE. How would I report this problem to the RM techs?

Michael A. Peterson
Las Vegas, Nevada

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:14 AM

Then set Chrome as your default again. Maybe it was that Edge thing that suspended the default setting.

Look up how to submit a request to Tech Support on the RootsMagic website.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 judino

judino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:18 PM

Thank you Tom. I've changed settings and switches and set defaults so many times my head is spinning. The only thing that works is when IE is set to default. So I will continue to use Chrome as default except when I need internet access from RM. A pain but it works. Thanks for the lead on Tech Support. I did go through their processes and ended up submitting a support request. Thanks again. 

Michael A. Peterson
Las Vegas, Nevada

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:23 PM

uninstall chrome and reinstall?

#10 judino

judino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:45 PM

OK. I unstalled. Reinstalled. No changes. Thank you though for the suggestion Tom.

Michael A. Peterson
Las Vegas, Nevada

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:40 PM

Grasping at straws... Uninstall/reinstall RootsMagic? Seems more likely this is a Windows issue. Do hyperlinks in PDF and Word docs open up in Chrome?

#12 judino

judino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:08 AM

All hyperlinks work fine except from RM. I'll look into the dos and don'ts of RM uninstall and reinstall so I don't screw things up. Thanks Tom.

Michael A. Peterson
Las Vegas, Nevada

#13 judino

judino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 01:25 PM

Well, I uninstalled and reinstalled RM with no luck.

Michael A. Peterson
Las Vegas, Nevada

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:24 PM

About all that's left is to uninstall and reinstall Windows! This is the strangest problem. I am also using Win 10-64b Home, upgraded from Win 7, on my laptop and Win 10-32b, upgraded from Win 8, on my tablet. In both cases, the default browser is Chrome and RM is reliably launching it. 

Another straw, try the RM program reset while it is open: ctrl+shift+u.

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:20 AM

I see we have this issue reported on two threads. I will post the comment I made on the earlier one here.

Try clearing your browser cache. Google saves it between computers so a fresh install doesn't always clear it. I like using the free version of CCleaner for this.

If that doesn't fix it then go into the Chrome Advanced Settings and click on "Reset Settings". This will bring it back to the default that appears to be working for everyone.

The only thing left causing it after that would be an extension or app conflicting. Turning them off one at a time would help test that.

Renee
RootsMagic

#16 judino

judino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:52 AM

Thanks for suggestions Renee. I went through them all with no luck. I run CCleaner every week but just did it again. I did the reset of settings. I went through the apps but it won't let me delete Web Store. I tested after each one of these all with no luck. The tech support people now have this. We ran through some things last night with no luck and they will get back with me today.

Michael A. Peterson
Las Vegas, Nevada

#17 judino

judino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:29 AM

Through Tech Support, Renee suggested to them that I use Chrome Canary. I was very reluctant and delayed doing it as it really is a development version and is susceptible to crashing and couldn't be assigned as browser default. Renee told tech support she wasn't having a problem and setting default is OK. So, I installed it and now my RM is interfacing with the internet through Chrome Canary. Still working on syncing, etc. but looks like it will remain my default. Thanks to everyone for their help with this. It hasn't been fun.

Michael A. Peterson
Las Vegas, Nevada

#18 judino

judino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:33 AM

I guess you could say that Mike Peterson's problem is solved because he installed Chrome Canary. There is still an issue with Chrome and who knows how Rootsmagic wide that is or is it just related to Mike Peterson's Chrome. Maybe RM should say something about the Chrome/Chrome Canary on it's blog.

Michael A. Peterson
Las Vegas, Nevada

#19 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:23 PM

I guess that it is just related to Mike Peterson's Chrome, not having heard of others having the same issue.

I just read this: "The great thing about Chrome Canary is that it installs at a different profile than Google Chrome. This way, if it breaks down, there is no danger for our stable browser." I don't know whate he means by "different profile" but it suggests to me that there is/was something amiss with your Chrome profile, given that Chrome is reliably called by RootsMagic for most others, if not everyone else.

#20 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:36 PM

I'm not sure what my issue is with Google Chrome but it won't work on my computer, but Chrome Canary will. I have all kinds of freezing, pages won't load, etc. with the regular Chrome. So it's not a RootsMagic issue its a computer issue for some users. I tried removing apps to see if one of them was the cause and it makes no difference. If you search online you will see others with issues with Chrome discover Chrome Canary will work for them. 

I think I've had this issue with Chrome since Windows 8. Moving to Windows 10 has made no difference. 

Renee
RootsMagic