• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ardis

Ardis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:28 PM

Is there anyway that I can rearrange my facts according to the year?  I tried to drag one fact to a different place with no luck.  For example, I entered a 1940 census, and then a 1930 census.  I would like to have the 1930 come before the 1940 without having to delete each fact and enter it again.  Thank  you

Ardis Storms

astorms286@aol.com

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5459 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:10 PM

Events on the Edit Person screen are in order of the SortDate. If you enter a valid date in the Date field, the SortDate value is automatically matched. You can change the SortDate without affecting the Date field. For events on the same SortDate, you can append the serial suffix, "-1", "-2",... to force the order.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2607 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:55 PM

Is there anyway that I can rearrange my facts according to the year?  I tried to drag one fact to a different place with no luck.  For example, I entered a 1940 census, and then a 1930 census.  I would like to have the 1930 come before the 1940 without having to delete each fact and enter it again.  Thank  you

Where did you enter the date for the 1930 and 1940 census facts? If you entered the dates in a correct format in the correct field, then the census facts will be in the correct order. If dates are not entered in the correct format, the fields will be yellow.

Sort dates can be a useful tool and are sometimes very necessary. But they shouldn't be necessary just to get the 1930 and 1940 census facts into the correct order.

Jerry

#4 Ardis

Ardis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:47 PM

I am using Magic 6 if that makes a difference with Windows 10.

When I go to my gr-grandfather and  click on the person, the edit person box comes up

Then I clicked on "Add a fact" and type in 1930 North Dakota Federal Census and save that information

In the Person Detail section, Notes, I add what information I found on the census.

When I am looking at census on Ancestry, when I see a census, I go back to my family to see if I already have that year, so as not to make a duplicate.  It is frustrating to me to be looking at the "Facts" and have to check every entry because I did not put these in "Year" order.  Hope this makes sense  

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:09 PM

The facts will sort automatically by the date you gave them. The Census fact has a date field so make sure you enter something in the date field so its not hard to find the fact you want. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2607 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:56 PM

Then I clicked on "Add a fact" and type in 1930 North Dakota Federal Census and save that information

It's not clear to me what you mean by "type in 1930 North Dakota Federal Census and save that information.

The sequence should be.

• Select Add a Fact and select the Census fact. There is no a separate census fact type for 1930 or for North Dakota. You enter that information into the same fact in subsequent steps.
  • A blank census fact will appear at the bottom of the list of facts on the left hand side of the screen (it's not in the correct order yet, but that's ok) and the cursor will be in the Date field in the upper right hand part of the screen).  Here is where you enter the 1930. If you do nothing else than this, the census fact will be in the correct order. Well, it won't be in the correct order until you click Save. Most people don't click Save until they enter more of the data. But we are anxious to get the fact into the correct order, so let's click Save now.
  • The new census fact will now be in the correct order. It will still be incomplete because it will not yet have the place of North Dakota (and a county, I presume), it will not yet have the notes yet, etc But you can still add that data, and the fact will remain in the correct order.

Try the exact sequence I suggested and see if that doesn't fix the order. If it doesn't please describe what you are entering almost key stroke by key stroke or mouse click by mouse click and describe what happens. But I'm confident that following my exact sequence will get your census fact into the correct order. And if it doesn't, then it must mean that your other facts are not in the correct order which would be equally puzzling.

Jerry

#7 Ardis

Ardis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:07 AM

Thank you Renee and Jerry. With your help,  I was finally able to figure out what I was not doing when entering facts.  I did not know what the sort date meant so I left it blank.  Well, it is not blank any longer

#8 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2607 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:19 AM

Thank you Renee and Jerry. With your help,  I was finally able to figure out what I was not doing when entering facts.  I did not know what the sort date meant so I left it blank.  Well, it is not blank any longer

Filling in the sort date is fine, and I'm pleased that doing so solved your problem.

But filling in the sort date should not be necessary except in very unusual circumstances. That's because when you fill in the date field with a valid date value, RM fills in a sort date for you that matches the valid date value. You only need to fill in a sort date yourself to coerce facts into the correct order when the date field itself is not sufficient to do so. So it sounds to me as if the data you are entering into the date field itself is not a valid date value. What happens if you just enter a date value into the date field and hit Save immediately before entering any of the other data?

Jerry

#9 Ardis

Ardis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:20 PM

Jerry

I have been playing around with the "Save".  I put just a year date in the "date" entry  but I am going back through the census and entering the day and month.  By doing this, the sort date is automatically added.  If I don't use the day and month and just put in the year, I have to enter the year in the "Sort".

I am so glad that I put a message on this board as it probably would have taken me quite some time before the "light bulb" came on in my head to figure this out

#10 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:28 AM

Census records from 1850 forward in my database, I use the date on top part of the record sheet for the date of the census fact.  Pre 1850, I use the date that the census is supposed to be started on. If ???  I find the note at the end or being of the census for the census taker, then I use that date. 

edited: Census taker was supposed to have dated and signed the last sheet.  Have found some that did not do it on a digital copy or ancestry.com did not digitize that page.  Then I go to https://archive.org/index.php and look for the census books.

I have never used a fact without a date entered or in the sort column date.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0