12 replies to this topic

#1 Bizegrama

Bizegrama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:49 PM

I generated a relationship chart and pedigree chart today but they are not on page evenly and seems crunched up.  I have checked settings, etc in Rootsmagic.

I am using Win 10, on a Dell laptop.  Reports are fine with my old HP computer with Win 7 professional.  So it looks like the problem is Win 10??

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:49 AM

This Knowledge Base article should help - http://support.roots...t-When-Printing

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Bizegrama

Bizegrama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:21 PM

Thanks, Renee. Had already tried those suggestions. Tried changing resolution on screen. I don't use magnify but will double check it. Spent hours yesterday trying to troubleshoot issue.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:36 AM

Check you layout for the page settings too then. Inside RootsMagic and on the printer screen too.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 dmossfritch

dmossfritch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:07 AM

So this problem is an on-screen display? Last fall an individual on a different board was reporting a text display problem (tiny text) after moving to Win 10 on a new laptop. The problem turned out to be a 'known problem' (yet not well reported) with the build-in video display (on the mother board, not a separate video card) in the programming code associated with the built-in video display. Following url links to the Intel site provided a fix to the display problem.  If your computer has a built-in video display circuit you might find a solution to your display problem by an on-line search for that video display component by name.

#6 Bizegrama

Bizegrama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:14 PM

So this problem is an on-screen display? Last fall an individual on a different board was reporting a text display problem (tiny text) after moving to Win 10 on a new laptop. The problem turned out to be a 'known problem' (yet not well reported) with the build-in video display (on the mother board, not a separate video card) in the programming code associated with the built-in video display. Following url links to the Intel site provided a fix to the display problem.  If your computer has a built-in video display circuit you might find a solution to your display problem by an on-line search for that video display component by name.

thanks everyone for suggestions.  Layout, etc ok.

It appears on screen display (when opens up) for pedigree & relationship charts and prints out the same.  Familysearch indexing program text is small, too, regardless of settings for display in largest text selected.  I did a google search to see if I could find issue with a motherboard, didn't come up with anything.

However, I downloaded Legacy out of curiosity to see how their reports came up and all the reports come out fine on laptop.  So it's weird.  it's got me stumped.  As everything is fine on old desktop with Rootsmagic.  Just an issue with laptop.  Hmm.

#7 Bizegrama

Bizegrama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:29 PM

Just some additional information, the narrative reports and other reports in screen view, seem fine.  Just seems to be with all the charts.

I wonder if reinstalling would help.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:18 AM

If you upgraded to Windows 10 after you had RM7 installed you need to install a .reg file. I'm thinking your issue maybe connected.

If you are using RootsMagic under Windows 10:

1. Download the .REG file from http://files.rootsma...Browser-Fix.reg

2. Run the .REG file to add the necessary entries to your Windows registry. It will display several scary warnings. Just keep telling it that “yes”, you do want to make the change.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Bizegrama

Bizegrama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:56 PM

If you upgraded to Windows 10 after you had RM7 installed you need to install a .reg file. I'm thinking your issue maybe connected.

If you are using RootsMagic under Windows 10:

1. Download the .REG file from http://files.rootsma...Browser-Fix.reg

2. Run the .REG file to add the necessary entries to your Windows registry. It will display several scary warnings. Just keep telling it that “yes”, you do want to make the change.

Thanks, Renee.  Sorry it took me so long to get back.  We are doing remodel on house and it's had priority.

It was not an upgrade to Windows 10.  Windows 10 came already installed with my new Dell laptop, then I did an install of Rootsmagic 7.2.1.0 from the Rootsmagic website, so it should have been a clean install.  Brought data in from Dropbox.  If that is any help.  Really has me stumped why some reports are fine and charts are not.

I will try your suggestion, but probably won't get a chance for a few weeks to try it with remodel.

Shirley

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:05 AM

Shirley, you could call into support and have them remotely view your computer. It might help them find them cause of the issue.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:23 PM

I'm having the same problem. I run RM7 under Windows 10 Professional on a desktop machine and on a Lenovo Thinkpad with a 14" screen. On the Lenovo, the six generation pedigree window has impossibly minute type; five generations show up as expected. I've installed the latest Intel graphics drivers and the registry patch mentioned above to no avail. My font sizes and displays for all other programs are perfect.

The RM7 program_options/display settings show that all three fonts are set to Segoe UI (14 point); this font's smallest setting is 8-point, but the names in the six-generation pedigree window are about 1/3 the height of 8-point Segoe. Times New Roman shows the same result. The shapes of the characters appear to be controllable in RM7, the the size -- at least on the six-generation pedigree chart is not.

I do not think this is a Windows 10 problem as RM7 is the only program which manifests it. I think there may be something wrong with the scaling algorithm and I would very much like to learn of any progress in solving the problem.

#12 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:07 AM

Maybe try disabling DPI virtualization for the RootsMagic application only:

- right-click the RootsMagic.exe executable file (or all its shortcuts)
- click Properties, click the Compatibility tab, and then select the box labeled <Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.>

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#13 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:35 AM

Dear kbens0n,

That's got it! Thanks so much. The type is still pretty small, but legible. So the problem was in fact a Windows setting -- I'm sorry I had suspicions about the RM7 programming.

Thanks again and all good wishes.

Robert