1 reply to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5467 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:04 PM

For websites created by RM6 and earlier and from RM7 using the menu path Internet>Generate files for a website, plug the following search expression with quotation marks into Google Search:

"Created * with RootsMagic Genealogy Software"

For websites served by MyRootsMagic.com from the database uploaded by the RM7 menu path Internet>MyRootsMagic (publish online), plug this expression into Google Search (no quotes):

site:sites.rootsmagic.com/*/index.php

I am surprised that the latter returns only 44 results after 19 months since RM7 was released but there may be others that Google has not been steered to and indexed. The equivalent (?) Bing search expression returns only 4!

site:sites.rootsmagic.com contains index.php

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 mleroux

mleroux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:47 PM

Google (or Bing) will only find the sites if something that they index has a link to it, or if it has been submitted to google to index. So my guess is that people creating RM websites have not posted the link on-line anywhere. I have never posted a link to my RM hosted site, and sure enough it does not show up in the results.

This forum seems to get scanned by google fairly often, so if people do want it indexed one of the fastest ways is to post a link to it here - it's nice to see examples of what people do with RM. That means, of course, that people will see it, so please be careful about private information.

Marc
Always learning and loving the discovery process. Focusing on the Huntingdon and Soulanges areas of Quebec - O'Connor/Leroux/Walsh/McCann/Savage/Lalonde/Lauzon