• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DJY

DJY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:32 PM

Another newbie question:  I've been exploring value switches in my sentence construction and I can see how they work when you're checking whether or not a field is being used.  Is there a way to have the value switch recognize the CONTENTS of the field and construct the sentence accordingly?

Here's the problem I'm trying to solve:  I use the death fact to bracket the dates of a person's life, even when I don't know the exact death date.  For example, if an obituary lists only two siblings as survivors, I put the death date of all of the other siblings as "before 19XX" to indicate they died before the obituary and I should restrict my searches to that time period.  However, it makes a horrible sentence:  "John Doe died before 1956 at the age of 70."  No, he would have been 70 if he had died in 1956 but for all I know, he died in 1932.  "Between" does the same thing, only it chooses the earliest date to calculate the age.  I was hoping the value switch could look at the date field and skip the age calculation if the date uses some modifier in it, yet include the age in the sentence if there's a normal date.  Is there a way to do that?  Or maybe there's another way to suppress the age in some circumstances but keep it in others?

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:52 PM

I don't think you can supress the "at the age of XX" calculation. It's one example of a Fact Type Sentence that is hard-coded, and not subject to user revision.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:34 AM

I use the death fact to bracket the dates of a person's life, even when I don't know the exact death date.  For example, if an obituary lists only two siblings as survivors, I put the death date of all of the other siblings as "before 19XX" to indicate they died before the obituary and I should restrict my searches to that time period.

I would not profess to be any expert on sentencing language and I adopt exactly the same practice with Birth and Death dates estimating the date on the best information I have to hand at the time. This keeps the database in good order but I agree causes problems with sentencing in narrative reports.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6252 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:49 AM

There is no conditional switch that compares value to some constant. All you can do is to make a local override sentence for each instance of the event type, deleting "[person:Age]" variable and related syntax.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 DJY

DJY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:51 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your responses!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sentence templates, value switches