• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Joythurs

Joythurs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:35 AM

I have never posted in a forum for information or help before so apologies if my etiquette is wrong, not familiar with tags or threads.

May I ask if anyone has had this issue before:

First of all I have used RM for several years although not in recent months having been working only on Ancestry's site. Today I downloaded a gedcom file from ancestry as I have done in the past. When attempting to import into RM it fails and I get the following screen message... please make sure you entered a legal file name....

Having never encountered a problem with importing prior to this I wondered if anyone else had encountered this problem and could offer a solution please?

The file name was not out of the ordinary, I have the latest RM version, use Windows 10 os. Uninstalled and re installed the RM software to no avail. Thank you in anticipation of finding finding helpful advice!

#2 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:51 PM

Can you post the full path name and file name of the file in question? What happens if you try to open it with Notepad or another text editor?

#3 ennoborg

ennoborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 02:41 PM

I have never seen anything like this, and I also don't know how to interpret what you're saying, because some detail appears to be missing.

Can you see whether the complaint is about the name of the GEDCOM file? Does RM mention the name in the error message? Can it be the name of a media file listed in the GEDCOM file itself? Is anything imported at all?

#4 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:06 PM

This error is usually resolved by changing the destination folder for the imported file.   In particular, do not use either the C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) folders or any subfolder within.

In the import window where you are asked for a new file name, click the "File location ..." box and select your Documents folder or a subfolder within.   Then try to complete the import routine.

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1504 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:06 PM

The above suggestions are all good to check. I've been using computers since the early 1980's so my filenaming scheme means avoiding the use of punctuation and spaces and accented characters. I think Ancestry allows spaces in filenames, and that Win10 and RM wil also have no particular problem there. I'd definitely like to see the full error message and the exact filename as downloaded from Ancestry.

#6 Joythurs

Joythurs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:07 PM

Thank you all for your response. Technically I am not brilliant but can certainly get by normally.

I have just downloaded a ged from ancestry and imported it to RM on my notebook also Win10, this was very straightforward with no problem wwhatsoever.

I'd certainly prefer to be working on the larger desktop pc screen. but the problem remains. I have now transferred the ged that uploaded successfully onto memory stick and upon attempting to import this now on the desktop I am getting the same message.

Which says precisely this:

RootsMagic couldn't create:

C;\Users\Joyce\Documents\Moore and Appleby Tree23May16.rmgc

Please make sure you entered a legal filename.

Nothing at all is imported as soon as I initiate the import the screen message appears. I have always imported files in the name format with date.

Incidentally how would I locate the path name? Would that be via Properties?

#7 Joythurs

Joythurs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:10 PM

I also meant to add that I am importing it as GEDCOM (Other programs).

#8 Joythurs

Joythurs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:32 PM

Right!! Thank you Ludlow Bay after following your advice :

In the import window where you are asked for a new file name, click the "File location ..." box and select your Documents folder or a subfolder within.   Then try to complete the import routine.'

This threw me for few minutes but I now have a successful import.

Grateful thanks for all advice