• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dcrowthe

dcrowthe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:39 PM

I just gave up on a full download of my Family Tree from FamilySearch after a week's wait, which only got me to the 21st Great generation. I finally had to click cancel so I could reboot.

I just want to make sure that things didn't get fouled up because of having to click cancel, then eventually having to kill the program because it hung all day in the cancel process.

The good news - I've got 91,000+ individuals imported. (I know, some reading this would kill for that, but life's lots easier when you have generations of genealogists preceding you and happen to tie into a couple of royal lines...

The bad news, not a single source was imported.

Am I correct in understanding that I have to go through 91,000+ people and for every one of them, go through multiple clicks to import all the sources?

Please tell me that's a remnant of a bad database download and I won't have to do that.

If that's true, is there ANY way to do this faster? I purchased Roots Magic to try to speed and clean up the process, but this situation is not making my toes curl with joy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Don

#2 Ronald Tilby

Ronald Tilby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:38 PM

Don, I suspect that you may have run into a looping pedigree in FamilySearch Family Tree when doing your download.  Have you tried splitting your download activity by (for example) downloading the ancestors of each of your grandparents or great-grandparents separately? and/or limiting the number of generations that you ask for?

Also, at Rootstech in February FamilySearch announced that they expected to complete some major database back-end changes this summer which would improve performance of Family Tree for both API and Web browser users.  So download performance should get better in the not-to-distant future.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7780 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:33 AM

We recommend importing only 4 generations at a time, and only into a new blank database. It's amazing you got as far as you did with all that is going on with FamilySearch right now.  The FT API Import doesn't support the sources. They need to be done one person, and one source at a time. I suspect FamilySearch won't change that until they do a lot of modification when they put in the Memory feature. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 dcrowthe

dcrowthe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for these comments.

But they didn't answer my key question - do sources come with the download, or do you have to do every person manually?

Don

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7780 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:03 AM

The FT API Import doesn't support the sources. They need to be done one person, and one source at a time. 

So yes, when you download a person through the FT API the sources do not come with them. You need to do them each manually.

Maybe when FamilySearch moves to the new servers that grow with capacity they might add that into the import/download. For now it would bog things down to much to include sources with all the individuals people are trying to massively import. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 dcrowthe

dcrowthe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:01 PM

Thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed.  :)

#7 CC58

CC58

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:01 AM

"The FT API Import doesn't support the sources. They need to be done one person, and one source at a time."

Above quote was posted May 2016.  Is this still true in 2018? 

Really wish there was a way to import sources from familysearch.org when importing a family tree.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7780 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:14 PM

It has not changed.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 hazelps

hazelps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:27 AM

Hey 

I'm a newbie in this forum. It would be helpful if any body could share some useful links here.I doesn't know much about this.

A basic knowledge would be enough rather than digging into this. Is this a free site or a paid one?

Thanks

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2986 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:35 AM

I'm a newbie in this forum. It would be helpful if any body could share some useful links here.I doesn't know much about this.

A basic knowledge would be enough rather than digging into this. Is this a free site or a paid one?

FamilySearch is a free site provided by the LDS (Mormon) church. You do not have to be an LDS member to use it. You can get a limited amount of value from the site without logging in, but to get maximum value from the site you need to log in. An account is free. The site contains a huge number of original records such as census records. There is a search engine, you can view the original records, and you can download them. In addition the site contains a community tree called Family Tree which is intended to be a huge tree of everybody in the world. You can login directly to FamilySearch to view and edit the Family Tree. This allows you to see the research previously conducted by other people and it allows you to contribute your own research to the community tree. In addition, RootsMagic can connect to FamilySearch and you can use RootsMagic to transfer data back and forth between your own database and the community tree rather than logging in directly to FamilySearch.

Jerry